Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have these kits in their 9's? I just put mine in with a full hindle and am wondering what settings other people might be running them with? I'm at the recommended settings right now and its not running so well, I think I need to drop back to the 38 pilots, maybe use richer mains.

</p>

·
Registered
183 Posts
What's "not running well"? I have a 1.0 on the way due to confusion at Lockhart with the Ivan's kit.

</p>

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welp, here goes..

Here's the current settings (as specified by the kit)

Bike: 2001 zx9r

FILTER: STOCK

ENGINE: +4 deg factory advancer, ngk cr9 spark plugs

EXHAUST: full hindle exhaust.

CARB/JET KIT: float height: 4mm

needle clip posistion: 2nd spot down.

main fuel jets: 175 1&4 178 2&3

air/fuel screws: 1 1/2 turns out (2 turns now, was fiddling)

Pilots: 40

What I'm experiencing is a very rough idle, surging at low rpms (intermittant lurching like its about to stall, can happen as high as 5 grand or so), and a definite inrush of power as I take it off the line at around 5 grand.. its rough and bogs, then gives a little kick in the pants and takes off.

I think the mains could go a tad richer too, as it pulls like a biatch at redline but feels 'rough' up there. I've collected some other people's settings for reference:

----

Sportbike: 2k zx9r Check my settings, 600 feet above sea level. Romps from 8000 to 12,500. Huge mains, no. 145hp. Got to love it. Runs very clean all the way through. No dips or bumps, just smooth linear power.

FILTER: K&N

ENGINE: factory advancer,

EXHAUST: full akro exhaust.

CARB/JET KIT: float height: 5mm

needle clip posistion: 4rd spot down.

main fuel jets: 182 1&4 185 2&3

air/fuel screws: 1 1/2 turns out

Pilots: 38

----

FILTER: Stock

EXHAUST: full muzzy exhaust.

CARB/JET KIT: float height: 4.0

needle clip posistion: 2nd-3rd spot down.

main fuel jets: 175 1&4 178 2&3

air/fuel screws: 1 5/8 turns out

----

Sportbike: 2000 ZX-9R P.P.B. few mod's done to it. so far 144 rwhpr and i still have money to blow on it...yeah baby

THE 2ND SET-UP........(this is the one i am doing and going to leave it at)

FILTER: K&N

EXHAUST: full muzzy exhaust.

CARB/JET KIT: float height: 4.5mm

needle clip posistion: 3rd spot down.

main fuel jets: 180 1&4 182 2&3

air/fuel screws: 1 7/8 turns out

---

All in all it looks like these guys all prefered the 38 pilots, and varied their needles, floats, and mains... oh joy. The kit says 40 pilots but that muzzy full systems prefer 38's.. I presume because so many have muzzy's and have reported their tuned settings.

So now I'm just scratchin my head and wondering whether to toss the kit instructions and follow a fork in the not so well beaten path, try to tune out the problems I have now, or yank the whole thing and work from the mains down step by step. I have no garage atm so it really sucks (am thinking Ivans was the way to go).

Ivan, maybe you have some thoughts?

</p>

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went back to the #38 pilots, and found out that the carb monkey who threw my kit in left my old shims in and threw the new needles in over top.. oh joy. So I took those out too.

The bike is running WAY better, but still needs a little sorting.. it can still surge a bit when I decelerate down to 2-4k in traffic then roll on, maybe I'm still too rich in the needles.

</p>

·
Registered
183 Posts
2-4k rpm wouldn't be the needles as much as the float height or pilot screws. I have a 99 model so the carbs are different. I'm in the process of putting in a 1.0 kit but it had a Dynojet kit in it and it's been a royal pain in the ass to get the main air jet plugs out! At least the slides weren't drilled. I just have to get mine running well over 5k rpm for a track day and then I'll worry about the lower rpm settings.

This will probably draw serious ire from everyone about jetting and kits but with the Factory kits I have yet to change the float height from stock on any of their kits. And I've run 6 kits on different bikes both race and street and never had a problem doing this. I'm in Houston so maybe the sea level has something to do with it and the stock height just working out. Every time has yielded great carburation no matter what the rpm, load, or throttle position was. There might be a first time eventually but that's what's worked for me to this point.

I'll post my settings once I get them done, which will be a while since bikes are second on the burner at the moment.

</p>

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A mechanic friend of mine took some time dialing in my bike and it made a world of difference, he's got me set up right now at:
175/178/178/175
38 pilots
4.5mm fl
1.5 fuel screw
2ndclip with stock washer

Its kicking ass, still has an off/on issue when I roll the throttle closed then back on (it hesitates, then comes alive with a kick.. somewhat unsettling in a corner). The kit professes to fix that very problem, so we may still find a way to sort it.

Also there's a very narrow lean spot around 3500ish rpms that causes a bit of surge if you cruise there, can't detect it if I roll through it from a stop.

Other than that, the bike is running with so much more smooth power than ever before that it feels like a whole new bike. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
MM, actually I changed my set-up not long ago. After some coments about how much dark smoke was blowing out at full throttle I dropped the mains. It runs even better now. It totally rocks. Here's my settings:

Full Akropovic, K & N, Factory Advancer, Factory 1.7RK Jet kit

Float H: 5 mm

Needle: 4th from top groove

Mains: 180 1&4 182 2&3 (dropped from 182/185)

Air/fuel screws: 1 ½ turns out

Pilots: #38 stock

Trackday last weekend on the 2200' long straight my bike was walking by R-1's and 929's & 954's. I was blown away. About midway up the long straight I'd just go by those guys. I had several guys walk up and ask what size is that? (No decals other than the Kawasaki on the tank). Once my ride hits about 9k it's like see ya. It pulls really hard through 12.5k, no flatting out at all. It's easy to hit the rev limiter. I chaulk most of that up to the Akro. The pipe makes more power on top fer sur.

Oh yeah it's a 2000 900, hey hey hey....... :lol:

Your problem: sounds like you've got a vacuum leak. Have you checked everything? Have you adjusted the float settings?

EAST

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Second from top..

·
Registered
119 Posts
MM, I'd say if the bike is stumbly from 4-7k rpm then it's lean. Second from top with your mods is typically lean. Have you tried raising the needles one notch?

EAST

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm maybe I'll try to richen the needles up, (eastwoody??). And your off/on is gone right? Was there any point during the kit tuning that it was still a problem for you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts