Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I really love :D this bike (2002 ZX9R), the false neutrals were freaking me out :shock: . I'd heard plenty about them on the Nine, but I've never experienced it myself. I was surprised on my Nine, how smoooth it shifted but I started to dread the false neutrals and fear of bending my shift fork :x . I thought about one of those shift kits and still might, but the third time I had the problem I adjusted the shifter down a little over a 1/4". Then I go new shoes and they weren't as high, so I went down again, over 1/2" total :idea: . I can't believe the difference...very positive shifts, a little clunkier, but much more confident. I've heard that after about 15-20 K, the false neutrals become a thing of the past. Anyway, this was helpful to me so I thought I'd share it. Hope it helps somebody out there.
ZX12eR 8)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good too see you figured something that worked for you. When I was racing, I used a reversed shift pattern on my ZX-7, it's great for racing application and found that it also reduced my false neutrals. I'd like to change my 9 but it's not as easy as it was on the 7.

I have over 20k on my 9 and I still get false neutrals so I don't know about it getting better :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shift kit?

"I have over 20k on my 9 and I still get false neutrals so I don't know about it getting better "
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hmmmm...that's not good to hear---though my problem seems fixed. Does it happen when you shift hard or only when you get a little lazy on the shifter?
And :?: , what do you think about those shift kits that they're selling (like Factory) :?:
Thanks,
ZX12eR 8)

·
Registered
76 Posts
It happens when I get lazy with the shifter.

I had thought about the shift kit also, it uses a heavier spring so you need to put more positive pressure on the pedal, so I guess no more lazy shifts :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I never went to a shift kit, but false neutrals are a rarity for me now, they primarily happened for me during break in and seldom since. It could just be that I'm used to shifting a certain way now and don't encounter it as often though..

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't think I've ever had a false neutral with my nine in over 16000 kms. But then I set my shift lever so I dont' need to lift very far but rather I need to point it down more to downshift. It's easier to extend then to lift.

ZX12er, If the lever placement doesn't help try shifting faster. The roll off, clutch feather and lift should happen pretty much as one motion. If you're making it too deliberate in an attempt to "help" it then it'll backfire on ya and make it clunkier instead. And you don't need to draw the lever back all the way. Just into the friction slip point is plenty for either up or down shifts.

Sorry if this is old hap but I don't know what your skill level is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BC,
Moving the shifter down has made all the difference. I do know that usually with shifting, "less is more"---including the amount of time taken to get it over with :D . Fast on the foot and light on the clutch seems about right anyway for me. But I really think I wasn't raising the shifter "quite" all the way up on occasion 'cause lowering it (1/2" all told)has made a big difference. Thanks!
ZX12eR 8)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Glad we could help. I'm constantly amazed at how often I sit on a bike and the owner hasn't taken a few minutes to set the controls to line up with their body parts. I think we all take it way too much for granted that the "factory knows best" when in actuality they just stick them on where it looks nice.

The shifter situation you found here is probably way more common than most realize.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks, I did it originally as a little joke for this board. Then about a week later I realized I'd come up with something that fit on two levels. One for the world and one for the future of motorcycling... :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great sig

:D Yeah, how about if I borrow your sig once a while, like this:

"Green is the color of the final salvation of mankind"
~BCRider

Hehheh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is this you are talking about?

I have a 03 ZX9 and a 01 ZRX1200 I dont think I have encounterd this yet but would like to know what it is and what causes it. I looks like a shift kit will clear it up, or a adjustment what are the effects besides a blown motor?

Thanks Joe T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts