Kawasaki World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here and hoping to find some help! I have a03 636 and while riding one day it just shut off on me. Tried starting back up and the fi light flashes. Three days later and went out to mess with it put the key and she started up and ran until it got up to normal temp and shut off and wouldn't start back up. Every day it will do this and I have checked almost everything on the bike and it doesn't show any codes can anyone help me with this???:banghead:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys new here and hoping to find some help! I have a03 636 and while riding one day it just shut off on me. Tried starting back up and the fi light flashes. Three days later and went out to mess with it put the key and she started up and ran until it got up to normal temp and shut off and wouldn't start back up. Every day it will do this and I have checked almost everything on the bike and it doesn't show any codes can anyone help me with this???:banghead:
1. Check your battery when bike doesnt want to start, maybe its time for new one
2. Check fuel pump... do a voltage test, good possibility pump is going out of business.
3. Check ECU and fuel pump relay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked the fuel pump all relays stator rectifier tip over everything several times, I have even got another ecu.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hubz my man...you crack me up. You are the first one to say if a sensor is bad, there is a code...telling all they chasing tails. Now you sending someone off chasing their tail. Too funny.

Does this bike have coil over ignition or standard ignition? Checked for spark and fuel when hot?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
12r, it still shows integrity when cold, so no code would pop up. Same as the fuel pump. There is pressure, but not enough, so the ECU would not know the pressure or the volt output? It would have to be a disconnect or a break internally.

Some guy changed the wire harness/ECU/throttle bodies and I kept on saying crank sensor. No codes, so watt do you think it turned out to be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the only thing I have not checked cause the manual says it will stii run using the last good signal, I'm gonna check it tomorrow though thanx

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Do this... Run a timing light off a spark plug. Tape the timing light so it faces you and the trigger is depressed and taped also. When the bike dies do not pull in the clutch lever. You want to see the timing light go off or it keeps running with the back wheel still moving the crankshaft.

What this does is show you if it's fuel or spark? It runs so compression is not it. Unless you never set the valves, the bike warms, expands and keeps a valve open just enough?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Will it not throw a code after it has warmed up and dies
Where is that stored code in the first computer? If it stalled, you said the fi light came on, now it does not?

Chasing tech on line is bad enough chasing one's tail. This is more a second set of eyes behind you, because you need to find that code number to narrow it down.

I'm stumped.:puzzled:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was no code in it, got another one and it won't throw one either except for the se ondary throttle servo and it acts retarded with that one but with the old one it works fine, checked it and it ohms out at 7 on both sets of wires in spec

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
It's most likely not a sensor at this point.

Again, have you checked for spark when hot This bike, from what I see, has a coil over ignition, similar to the 12/14 and most modern bikes (and cars). You have a thermal issue, and have ruled out the IC Ignitor (built into the ECM these days), so that leaves your pickup coil (or as some call it, pulsing coil) which is located under the throttle side crank cover, or a loose/dirty connection or a bad coil shorting out when it gets hot. This is all on your ignition side.

Fuel side is a bit more complex. I wouldn't suspect anything here until we rule out sparks. We know compression is good, move on to spark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have checked the coils hot and cold and they checked out, replaced the pick up, checked it cold and hot. Just got done checking the can sensor it ohm out at 530 cold and 750 hot so that might be my problem like hubz was saying

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I don't put it outside the realm of possibility. Ol' hubz been right more than once round these parts in strange ways. Replace it and give her a go. That is a bit out of spec...:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have checked the coils cold and hot and they checked good. Can't check for spark when it cuts off BC they r on the same circuit with the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and I injectors which is all shut down after it dies. I checked the can sensor its supposed to ohm out at 490 and I was getting 530 cold and 750 hot so like hubs said I think that might be my problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts