Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dunlop 208 rear tire. Today i noticed a nail in my tire. With a slight leak of air. What do i do? Do i take it to a regular tire shop and have them use same plug as car tire, or are there special plugs for bike tires?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The best(safest) thing to do is just replace the tire. The plugs will pull out if the tire. If ya really have to save the tire, patch it from the inside. You just have to look at it this way. What is your life worth? $150? That's what the tire costs... Besides, plastics are expensive anyhow...

Sunshine

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with Sunshine, I would replace the tire. If you can't do that, the next safest thing would be to patch the tire from the inside. A tire repaired this way has its speed rating lowered one level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man, replace that tire, or just dont ride hard. Cause if you skip on safety you going to eat gravel or dirt and we all know thats no fun. So just buy a new tire. k

Jay

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is increasingly difficult to find shops that will plug a tire.

That said, I have had many tires plugged. Some worked and some didn't. For example, Bridgestones don't hold plugs well and Dunlops do (in my experience.) Be sure to have it plugged from the inside if you do. You will also have to concede that you won't be able to ride an 10/10ths pace on a plugged tire. The speed rating for a Z rated tire drops to an H (if I remember right.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I know this is gonna make alot of you really go off, but I used tire SLIME. It is this green stuff designed for off-road bikes(mostly). I had just bought the tire and had a screw puncture it. None of the local dealers would plug or patch it so I bought a big bottle of the stuff and used it (according to the directions). I rode that tire for another ~2000 miles and it held up fine. I didn't go blasting down any long twisties or anything. I did have the tire up over (indicated) 170MPH and the stuff held just fine. It held up great until my first day on the dragstrip. I did my burnout, did my run, then another, then a third before I noticed that my rear tire was grabbing WAY too much. It had run out of air by the third run. (which at our track meant about 5 hrs after the first run) It was a Bridgestone 020. So you be the Judge. If you ride hard, get another tire. If you use it to commute in fairly cool weather (this was during the winter) I would say give it a try. The guys are right though, if you can afford it, just break down and get another tire. (I couldn't)

Oh the tire SLIME cost ~$10USD

·
Registered
47 Posts
My experience

Had a D208 with 200 miles on it. Picked up a TIG welding tip, small puncture, no visible cord damage. Shop patched it from the inside. @ months and 800 miles later, I picked up a small sheet metal screw, tire went flat but a very clean puncture. This time, plugged the tire and patched from inside. Did a track day at pacific raceway and a 4 day 1500 mile trip on this tire with no problems whatsoever...ran until cords were showing at home. It depends on the hole, but patching seems fine. Fixed the Pirelli Dragan corsa on my sons bike with a patch form inside and he has wor and run the tire normally. BTW, I love having my own tire changing station!! Had it since Feb and it has almost paid for itself. By next spring it will be making me money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts