Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a bit in a recent post saying that I was going to make "frankenforks" from donor radial lowers.... Following up.

Radial lowers from a newer 12R are 100% compatible with older 12R fork uppers. Internals are identical 25mm components and springs.

In my case I bought a cheap, donor set of radial 12R forks with somewhat battle scarred uppers but crucially they have good chrome tubes. My axial forks had tidy uppers but the chrome tubes were bubbling up at the bottom 1.5inches where they were hidden behind the mudguard.
I took them in to get them assembled and serviced, as they hadn't been touched for 10 years. Also, hopefully to get them sprung better and possibly re-valved. I wanted to improve them and to get them set for the next 5 years plus.

Should it interest anyone who is still prepared to invest in the 12R....
I use a place that just does suspensions, mainly race suspensions. I don't know enough to do my own forks and frankly don't want to.
Routine service would be £125 for a pair of forks
Additional labour to strip the donor forks £30
Re-valve forks which involves a reasonable amount of labour and some machining £175
New springs £100
£430 plus 20% VAT to get the 12R forks as good as they can be with radial lowers. (plus cost of donor forks).
If they had needed new chrome tubes it would've added another £200 plus.

Alternative....
25mm Ohlins internals go straight in "out of the box" with suitable springs and no servicing required. Cost including VAT and the £30 to cannibalise the 2 sets of forks.... £520. If you ask them nicely you can also get some nice blingy Ohlins stickers. :thumbup:

Probably more than most want to invest but I'm going to keep this bike running at it's best for another few years yet.
With new suspension, brakes, paint, tyres and a good 22,000 mile, valve service. This thing will be better than when Kawa built it! :clap:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice break down shep!
What are you going to do the ohlins or mod the stock?

cmg

The forks are getting the Ohlins internals. The guys I use are pretty good, I expect they could get the originals to a very similar standard. However, for the same money I opted for the bling. Even though nobody but me will know what's in there. :lol:
I do a few track days (strictly non-competitive) so it will be nice to have the bike working properly. I doubt if I'll use the full potential but it'll make me happy and that's what counts.
I need to get the forks and wheel on before I can get the rear shock off. I've got the bike suspended by the head stock and on blocks with the paddock stand under the swing arm, so can't get it all done together. Stupid really, I didn't think too hard. Not quite sure what to do at the back. A full rebuild of the original shock isn't much short of the cost of a mid range replacement.

·
Registered
990 Posts
What is the name of that place that does forks???
The most difficult thing is getting the tubes.At 430 you can get a pair of radials from ebay but you wont know whats inside,so 430 for used lowers plus the work that needs to be done is reasonable.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The forks are getting the Ohlins internals. The guys I use are pretty good, I expect they could get the originals to a very similar standard. However, for the same money I opted for the bling. Even though nobody but me will know what's in there. :lol:
I do a few track days (strictly non-competitive) so it will be nice to have the bike working properly. I doubt if I'll use the full potential but it'll make me happy and that's what counts.
I need to get the forks and wheel on before I can get the rear shock off. I've got the bike suspended by the head stock and on blocks with the paddock stand under the swing arm, so can't get it all done together. Stupid really, I didn't think too hard. Not quite sure what to do at the back. A full rebuild of the original shock isn't much short of the cost of a mid range replacement.
What options at a mid range are you considering? Be nice to have a matching ohlins !!! :thumbup:

cmg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have a look at Nitron Shep :thumbup:
I spoke to the Nitron folk a week or two ago.
They can build a Sport Shock with remote preload adjuster for £388 plus VAT.
I've read some reviews and they seem well liked. Another £8 plus VAT for a black spring!

The guys that are doing the forks recommended a Wilburs unit at similar money.

Ohlins has more adjustment than I would ever know what to do with. They don't come for under £1000 with VAT.
I can see my next bike having all this electronic suspension malarchy, so I can't see me re-springing it and taking it with me.

Not sure what to do yet. :headscratch:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
No matter which way you go, it will be a major improvement. The zx10 shock I used with a good spring and a little work was tremendously better than the stock 12 unit.

cmg

·
Super Moderator
1,273 Posts
Hey Shep, do you have any details of what Ohlins cartriges they used? eg what bike they're originally made to suit etc?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Shep, do you have any details of what Ohlins cartriges they used? eg what bike they're originally made to suit etc?
Hi Steve,
I'm pretty sure it's on the card they gave me with the recommended settings. It's in my workshop though, so I probably won't pick it up til Monday. Failing that I'll have to go back to collect the rear shock Monday or Tuesday and I'll ask the question.
They're rebuilding and re-valving the rear.
I haven't ridden with the forks yet. I did notice that they sound very wet when moved about loose. The originals didn't, maybe they'd run out of oil. It would explain why they weren't up to much.

****I haven't been in to talk to them again yet. The card I have with the settings on just says 25mm SBK Piston Kit. No part number, but I recon it must be 03200-25. With a .975 spring and FL7.5 oil

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
This is good news. Sounds like this might be one of the easiest options for radial brakes without breaking the bank if you are able to find some descent deals on used setups.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been out now and got a bit of new year confidence back. Tyres are broken in.
It's difficult to feed back too accurately as I've got so many changes at the same time and comparing to memory from a few months ago.
However, the combination of Ohlins fork internals, reworked OEM shock, 200/55 Pirelli DRC and Nissin radial brakes is f'kin epic. It's like a very fast magic carpet that just inspires confidence. Rear feels much harder than before when I sit on it but it's sprung the same and rides beautifully.
I don't know what pads are in the Nissins, there's plenty of life left but I suspect that they are the originals from a 2009 GTR1400. On the first ride the lever movement was almost nothing but the stopping wasn't great. Now they have either worn some crap off themselves or the rotors, they are superb.
Buying the used forks, rebuilding with new internals, reworking the shock & buying the used calipers has probably cost me £800. Plus fluid and tyres. Should see the bike at the top of its game for a few years. Very happy with it. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts