Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which pinch bolts on the fr. forks, (rg,left or both sides)do i keep loose/or tight,when re-installing the front wheel to align the rg.fork to set.
The manual says upon re-installing the wheel to slam the forks up and down with the axle tight to set the rg.fork,but it is unclear to me which side of the fork pinch bolts to tighten or loosen?the manual i belive says to keep both sides loose with axle tight when slamming the forks,but i wanna be 100%.anyone familiar with this.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I never loosend the left hand side or nut side as I call it... Left hand side when sitting on bike facing forwards(for any smart ass's :lol: ).... Then bounce it up and down 4 or 5 times and then tighten the right fork allen screws down... I double checked with local shop after I did it and they said it was right... But they aren't the sharpest tacks in the box... But we all agreed thats what the Adendem said to do...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pinch bolts

I thought so,but the manual says "after you bounce" to check the clearance of the axle collar,.03-.13,than last it says to tighten the left pinch bolts:meaning as they say in the manual, on pg.9-4 & 9-5, both sides should be loose.B
But same as you say, i was also told by a friend to keep the left side tight and loosen the right pinch bolts with axle tight,than bounce.maybe i'm reading it wrong in the manual.i just want to make sure. a friend of mine did some damage not bouncing when he first got his z.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fr.wheel

this post is alot more understandable than the my manual.i'm curious,if the bounce method is not done,what damage can be caused?
i never asked anyone what damage occured.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
lets see... front wheel unstable at 150+.... hmmmm.....

i'd really want to get this one right men...

·
Registered
690 Posts
frt wheel

I've got it right here in front of me...
1-tighten axle to spec.
2-make sure axle nut shoulder is in against the fork.I use the wooden handle of my mini-sledge.

3-tighten lh pinch bolts.

4-before re-tightening rh pinchers,pump the forks.
5-then tighten rh'ders and check clearance.

I've seen where front wheel bearings possibly failed due to this not being done properly.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
i've had rear bearing melt down because of wrongness from the bike shop, and could have been killed. that's why i'm adament. :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts