Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front right brake has started making a sharp clunking/popping sound when initially applied from slow speeds. The pads have always had a lot of play and rattled in the calipers when rolling the bike around but braking has always been fine. Any thoughts? Also what is this about the Front Wheel Axle Spacing that I read about on the Maintenance Tips page? I recently put new tires on just put every thing back together the way it came apart. :(

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My brake pads dont rattle,but the sholder on the right spacer is not flush against the fork leg like the left side is....Is that normal ??

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
Dino, I've been wondering that too...
When I'm pushing the 12, I can tap the brake and it makes an audible click each time it grabs. Everything works fine, but ya never know. Nothing seems to be loose...?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well the pads are held in only by a single pin which means they can rotate round that. The only thing that stops them moving roung the pin is the caliper itself, but there must be some clearance to enable you to slide them in. The click when you apply the brake is probably when the pads grab the disc and rotate up with it through that tiny clearance into the top of the caliper.

The other thing it can be is if the pistons are sticking they can suddenly free themselves and pop into the back of the pad making a noise. I have only experienced this under fairly heavy braking not pushing the bike around.

rokitt1200
My left side space is the same, the bolt (thick bit) sticks through a couple of mm stopping the spacer touching the fork leg. Don'tknow if thats correct at all.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If you look at the service manual or bulletin supplement is says there is supposed to be a gap on the fork leg. 2mm I think it is..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you look at the service manual or bulletin supplement is says there is supposed to be a gap on the fork leg. 2mm I think it is..
that is different from what year you get

·
Registered
253 Posts
The clicking / knocking noise I get is the pads moving against the pin , if you get the front wheel of the ground rotate the wheel and put your hand on each of the calipers you will probably feel which caliper is doing it .

·
Registered
253 Posts
The clicking / knocking noise I get is the pads moving against the pin , if you get the front wheel of the ground rotate the wheel and put your hand on each of the calipers you will probably feel which caliper is doing it .
Apply the brake when you rotate the wheel I forgot to mention

1 - 11 of 11 Posts