Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this horse dead? Well, just in case I will add a couple more blows to it.
As you may know I take my 12 apart and put it together more than I ride it :head scratch:
Background: I finally got the proper length braided lines for the front, so I took the old lines off. Well, then I'd need to bleed them, and inspect the pads, right? Ok, pads need to be replaced. Well, while we are here why not clean the calipers? So I take those off. Ok, now they are apart. Appears that some of the outer seals were in crooked, and are twisted. So, rubber should be replaced.
Overhaul kit is $110 shipped. Crap! Pads are another $60 at least. Ok... And everyone seems to dislike the Tokicos for the most part: hard to bleed, finicky etc.
So I am thinking of putting the overhaul money into a new front brake setup instead. I have found the following informative threads:
http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/47990-no-more-brake-problems-now.html
http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/52870-any-interest-brembo-axial-adapters.html, and a couple of others.
I want to ask people who have done this if my summary of options is correct or if I missed a good one:
1) Radial brackets from Taiwan + R1 04-06 calipers. Calipers can be found for < $100.
2) Axial brackets from Beantown + 65 mm Brembo calipers. Calipers are more expensive than R1.
3) Radial Brembo like Mike1000's with radial brackets. Looks like the radial Brembos can be had for about the same as axial Brembos.
From the cost perspective it looks that I can have the R1 setup for a maybe $50 more than the cost of Tokico overhaul, and the Brembo for another $80 over that.
Opinions please? Thanks!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hey Mate, You need 4 piston calipers with sintered pads.
6 pot is for show, 4 pot is for performance.
Choose 4 piston calipers whatever is that axial or radial, You wont feel flex so dont bother Yourself.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have to agree with Afkan. The R1 set up is brilliant. You just have to breathe on the lever to stop and you do not have to change the MC either. :thumbup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the axial 4-pot Nissins from 1200 Bandit a direct fit? I think Winters19 ran those. I would prefer the simplest installation of course, and the R1's need brackets.
P.S. I think the year those brackets fit is 04-06 R1 calipers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts