Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fuel is recommended for our ZX12R bikes? Now, not what you like to use or what is best that you think :rant: ....I don't remember seeing anything about that :headscratch:....I have been using 87 grade and seems to work fine but if it needs to be burning higher grade fuel then I need to change and now is not the time to change with fuel prices going sky high :banghead: but I need to make sure to use the right type so it performs to its fullest power but in the mean time I don't want to burn my money through my engine with fuel grade that will not do anything.

My brother told me his ZX14 requires high grade and that's all he's been using since day one.

·
Registered
25,373 Posts
bldragon -

You're gonna get several opinions on this, of course, but:

• >> "Fuel info 101" dictates that the octane rating of a given fuel is INVERSELY proportional to it's power rating.
  • >> The reason for using higher octane fuel is to support high-compression combustion without pre-detonation
  • >> The BEST fuel for your internal combustion engine is the one that has the lowest octane rating that will operate youe engine without pre-detonating (knocking)
  • >> I have run 87 octane since a knowledgable member here (Ricky Gadson) recommended it. He's a smart guy.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I run 91. I have ran a few tanks of 87, and my bike was back firing. Doesn't make sense that it would back fire with lower octane, but it did. So now I stick to 91.

·
Banned
5,436 Posts
Assuming a stock motor n/a and no changes to timing I'd run the lowest fuel from the pump.

A.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
87 is fine, shit ive ran 87 at the track(1/4) with 13.5:1 cr and 5 degrees advanced. the biggest thing is dont lug the motor in high gear high throttle pos. thats when its most prone to damage. or holding it wfo for miles... doing top end basts with a high cr motor and advanced timing on 87 may not be good, but for stock dont worry about it

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I run 87 in the winter and 91 mid grade in the summer, since hotter temps add more chance of detonation. Pretty sure in the manual is says 87... ?

Small bore engines, even with high comp and timing advance are less prone to detonation than larger ones. You wouldn't get away with 11 or 12 to 1 in a small block chevy on 87.. :)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I run 87 in the winter and 91 mid grade in the summer, since hotter temps add more chance of detonation. Pretty sure in the manual is says 87... ?

Small bore engines, even with high comp and timing advance are less prone to detonation than larger ones. You wouldn't get away with 11 or 12 to 1 in a small block chevy on 87.. :)
+1 and all alloy whitch absourbs pinging in hi comp but i still prefeer the highest octain because i dont like pinging .you can allways get a bad batch of fuel from these theifes we are paying $1.50 a litre for the good stuff

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
aluminum head and a pentroof combustion chamber helps

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Seems like there was a label saying 91 or higher octane. Manual calls for 91 octane (pg 163). I've run mid-grade(89) but I believe the guys who say 87 is cool. In some was, the engineers at Kawasaki are even more conservative than the ones at Honda.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Google " top tier fuel"
I can say there is a difference in fuel quality
in respect to cleaner burning.
You can absolutely run 87, but as Scott pointed out
avoid low rpm, high load conditions.
It's note worthy to restate ambient temp should
Influence your choice of octain.
It's really a question of removing a safety margin
Low octane = lowest safety margin.
My .01 worth

·
Registered
767 Posts
The decal on my tank cover from my '01 says to use only 90+ octane. I generally use 91 or 93 octane, whatever the highest octane is available. But the main reason is the low octane and mid-grade octane gas here in MN has around 10% ethanol in it, and some want it to be 20% by 2013. Some stations offer premieum gas for Motorcycles, snowmobiles and collector cars that has no ethanol added. Thats what I like to use.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Dang I wish this thread would have popped up when I bought my 12 I would have saved a fortune over running 93 in my bike.

Dammit

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok everyone the answer to my question is in my Owner's Manual Page 28....see pic below.....typical male, never read instructions or manual.... :rotflmao: :evil: :nana: :lol:

I am using Premium grade from now on......I hope freaking gas prices will come down soon or I will be forced to ride my mountain bicycle to work.....:banghead:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts