Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forum... I have a 2003 zx12r... I have an idle issue and loss of powe.r tach will barely climb past 9k.. what I have done.. calibrated and check resistance of TPS. It checks out. Just replaced complete charging system,all voltages correct... I have not put a fuel pressure gauge in yet but suspect it is a fuel pressure issue. The pump sounds funny.. I removed tank and pump the inside of the tank clean.. my main question is should it hold pressure in the line to the throttle bodies.. there was no residual pressure in the line when I removed it... any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
329 Posts
My vote is for fuel filter. Take it apart and back flush the filter. Put it all together and see if the problem isn't resolved. If this works you will need to replace the filter because it will clog again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree it’s likely a filter that’s clogged allowing only so much fuel before it chokes. I ended up doing an external fuel filter under the tank and no more problems. Kawaski doesn’t sell the replacement filters but I’ve read you can get a hyabusa filter and it’s identical. So three choices are 1.)filter bypass to external.. 50-100$ cheapest/ most work.. (I have pics that I can send).
2.) hyabusa filter swap... 200$
3. New fuel filter assembly with pump.. 600$

·
Registered
329 Posts
You can go the external fuel filter route just be sure to keep the fuel pressure relief valve in the tank. Your 12 doesn't have a fuel return line instead there is a relief valve on top of the filter this must stay in the loop or you will over fuel and fill your crankcase with fuel (not a good thing to happen). I haven't looked into the hyabusa filter, but it does appear to be close enough that it could work. If you do try to use the hyabusa unit please report back your findings as this info will be very useful. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts