Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. I just went to Best Buy and they had the Etrex on a special sale for $99.99. They had one with the 'Open Item' sticker for $89. I got that one..... So excuse me while I go play with my new toy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedo said "100mph".... Etrex said "88.5" :shock: :shock: :shock: Need to get me a Yellow Box asap!

This GPS is slicker than snot on a doorknob!! Some of you old timers might remember the Loran. I had a A model and a C model. The A model was a osciliscope type nightmare. The C model was much better & smaller and worked more often. Now we have GPS units that fit in your hand....!! :lol: As Spock would say. "Fasinating" :D :D

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I also have an eTtex GPS, it is great.

If you order your ZX-12R.org shirts now you will be entered in a draw for a Yellow Box.

Check out the Extended Raffle to meet the min order quantity thread before ordering. We need to meet our min quantities to pull off the order.

Thanks,

Easyrider

·
Registered
544 Posts
NameChanger said:
Speedo said "100mph".... Etrex said "88.5" :shock: :shock: :shock: Need to get me a Yellow Box asap!

This GPS is slicker than snot on a doorknob!! Some of you old timers might remember the Loran. I had a A model and a C model. The A model was a osciliscope type nightmare. The C model was much better & smaller and worked more often. Now we have GPS units that fit in your hand....!! :lol: As Spock would say. "Fasinating" :D :D
my speedo is off too...when the e-trex reads 100 mph my speedo read 89.6...i need a yellow box too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What Else Are They For?

Besides giving you an accurate speed reading, what else are you guys using these for? It's not like On-Star or anything like that where you can subscribe to a service that helps you with directions and stuff is it?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use mine for returning to those excellent twisty roads I find. It is also handy for when I go "wandering". No need to keep track of where I am or refer to a map. Just use the eTrex goto feature and follow the arrow home.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
MoodyBlue said:
my speedo is off too...when the e-trex reads 100 mph my speedo read 89.6...i need a yellow box too.
Is that right???
Don't you mean when the speedo reads 100 the e-trex reads 89.6 ????

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: What Else Are They For?

superninja12R said:
Besides giving you an accurate speed reading, what else are you guys using these for? It's not like On-Star or anything like that where you can subscribe to a service that helps you with directions and stuff is it?
Depending on the model you get, you can have On-Star like services to help you find your way. I recently purchased a Garmin GPS V. I can upload maps from anywhere in the country and it includes a database of almost every Point of Interest (schools, grocerie stores, malls, restaurants, landmarks, etc) you could ever find. All I have to do is press find, type in the destination, and the GPS gives me turn by turn instructions on how to get there just like Mapquest. It warns me of upcoming turns and illustrates them on the screen. The downside of having that ability is that it costs a fair amount more than the base line Etrex. The GPS V is meant to be used as a hand held device like the Etrex, but I went with the better model for 2 reasons. First was for the autorouting feature. Second, the GPS V allows me to directly hook up to an amplified external antenna. Since I go out in some very thick wooded areas, the amplified antenna lets me lock onto satelites even in the worst conditions.

I also do a fair amount of exploring and a GPS is one the the most usefull tools for it. Should you ever get lost, you can simply have it reverse your track and it will walk you right back the way you came, even in total darkness.

Another fun activity that is unique to GPS users is Geocaching. People hide small caches of trinkets and logbooks in locations that are special to them. They upload the coordinates of the cache to a website and anyone with a GPS can go out exploring and find them. Check out http://www.geocaching.com for a lot more information. I haven't been doing it very long, but it has already exposed me to several unique senic areas near my house that I would have never found on my own. To give you an idea of the extent of this game, there are over 31,000 caches in the US alone! Check out the website, it will explain everything in much more detail.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mwrzx12 said:
MoodyBlue said:
Is that right???
Don't you mean when the speedo reads 100 the e-trex reads 89.6 ????
Yeah, I was wondering what sprocket setup MoodyBlue had!!?? :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
I employ just the plain ol' Etrex (pictured above in yellow by Mark-PMB). I have MapSource US Roads/Recreation and a NC map by DeLorme. I setup routes using "waypoints" as interim destinations. The waypoints are normally highway intersections. I usually try to develop a route lasting from 1 to 6 hours. It is surprising just how accurate a GPS is. Best $100 I've spent in years.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: What Else Are They For?

KZ1100 said:
Another fun activity that is unique to GPS users is Geocaching.
I've been looking at that for a while now. I think I'm going to try one near my house this morning! 27 56.370' N / 082 12.590' W

Instead of having 'Poker' runs.... 'Cache' runs would be a lot more fun!! :lol: :lol: The trouble is, most of my scooter friends can't program their VCR or cellphone... having them program a GPS is asking way too much. :?

Also, if somebody tells you to meet them at a certain place and gives you directions with the Lat & Long... you are sure to easily find them with the GPS.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts