Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple months I've been suffering from horrible gas mileage...it all started a couple months ago while on the highway...I was cruising at 75-80 mph and the bike started to cut off like it was starving for gas and the fi light came on(first time since I've owned it)...I pulled off and turned the bike off...after smoking a cigarette I started it up...I got a cloud of black smoke and it ran like shit for a minute...I was too far from home to turn back so I kept going...at that point I was 186 miles from my destination...in that time I had to fill my tank 3 times before I got there...I got exactly 80 miles till the last solid bar on the gauge each tank full...since then I've been running rich for some reason...every time I hit the throttle hard I get black smoke...I don't feel any noticeable power loss in any of the gears when I open it up...last week I tried the acetone(2oz per gal) and I got even worse mileage... 50 miles till the last bar on the gauge so today I pulled the plugs to clean them up, while doing so I notice the #2 and 4 boots has a small amout of condensation on the outside and all of the plugs had rust on the metal of the plug...none of them had a gas smell but 2 did have a smalll amount of oil in the threads but nothing near the electrode...all the tips were black in color, cleaned them then reinstalled into bike, started it and still got a black cloud when I hit it...I then cleaned and re oiled the filter...while I was waiting for the oil to dry I decided to try it without filter and I still got the black cloud...after reinstalling the filters I still got black smoke....the only thing I haven't done is sync the tb's...could that be the reason I'd get such shitty mileage? I have -1 +3 gearing...1.16v on the tps...Kleen air removed.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
A power commander?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
For the last couple months I've been suffering from horrible gas mileage...it all started a couple months ago while on the highway...I was cruising at 75-80 mph and the bike started to cut off like it was starving for gas and the fi light came on(first time since I've owned it)...I pulled off and turned the bike off...after smoking a cigarette I started it up...I got a cloud of black smoke and it ran like shit for a minute...I was too far from home to turn back so I kept going...at that point I was 186 miles from my destination...in that time I had to fill my tank 3 times before I got there...I got exactly 80 miles till the last solid bar on the gauge each tank full...since then I've been running rich for some reason...every time I hit the throttle hard I get black smoke...I don't feel any noticeable power loss in any of the gears when I open it up...last week I tried the acetone(2oz per gal) and I got even worse mileage... 50 miles till the last bar on the gauge so today I pulled the plugs to clean them up, while doing so I notice the #2 and 4 boots has a small amout of condensation on the outside and all of the plugs had rust on the metal of the plug...none of them had a gas smell but 2 did have a smalll amount of oil in the threads but nothing near the electrode...all the tips were black in color, cleaned them then reinstalled into bike, started it and still got a black cloud when I hit it...I then cleaned and re oiled the filter...while I was waiting for the oil to dry I decided to try it without filter and I still got the black cloud...after reinstalling the filters I still got black smoke....the only thing I haven't done is sync the tb's...could that be the reason I'd get such shitty mileage? I have -1 +3 gearing...1.16v on the tps...Kleen air removed.
As my12r said ,it could be the PC , first thing I would check thou is the air filters , if there filthy it "could" cause that style of problem .. Start with the basics first. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Something is telling the ECM to richen the mix. The black puff you get is cause it is running way rich. There are a few sensors on the bike that can cause this...temp, air, tps....have you done the TPS mod everyone likes so much? You have a sensor out of spec...you need to check for codes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never had a problems with a sensor other than the kickstand...I'll check them all today and I'll also move the tps sensor to oem specs.... How do I check for codes? Do I need a special code reader?

·
Registered
28 Posts
how long was it after your last fill up before it started to play up. do a compression test as hubz14 said. and have you put in new plugs if you have have a look to see if they look the same as the old ones are the plugs sooty looking. sounds a lot like the same problem as i had on my 90 gsxr 750 , after i got to reserve and had to pull in to the closest servo to fill up. after leaving the servo the bike started to play up much as your bike did. i found out later on that the ford dealer just up the road had all brands of cars pulling in with engine problems (contaminated fuel). after i did all the test and fixes i could , i found out that the bikes compression was about half of what it was on the last services. it took a top end rebuild to fix it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Where is the map sensor? I'm not finding a map sensor in the manual...what does map stand for?
1 is in the tail section or right side tail removal required to get at it
and #2 is located left side of bike above throttlebody attached to frame

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

MAP = Mass Air Pressure
MAF = Mass Air Flow

Both mean the same, both do the same. Two different companies use different nomenclature for the same thing. Kawi says backup for a limp, and Suz says, fail-safe for the same limp.

Sensors = Have 3 wires. One wire goes to the ecu so when it fails it sends a code, limps the bike in safe-mode, and runs in backup.

One more time... Sensors mean analog = Many numbers are their output. If say a sensor failed, it would send in one signal or no signal, not many signals the ecu is waiting for.

So if it was a sensor, it would code, being it's spitting out one number or no number. So without a code present, you are chasing your tail still clueless as to the compression of the engine.

How many times do I sign off as????

Signed,

YOU STILL ARE NOT LISTENING are you?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish I would have saw this post before I put the plastics back on...I checked the one in the tail...my voltage meter is on loan to a friend, I did a visual inspection...the hose has a small crack from dry rot...would that effect the gas consumption ? I cleaned the air temp sensor, reset the tps sensor to oem setting...checked the hose under the air box from doing the Kleen air delete, all the hoses attached to the tb's..no cracks or pinches that I could see...HUBZ, I will be purchasing a set of compression gauges Friday! What kind of readings should I be looking for?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also...I tried that self diagnostic... I found the wire in the tail section, in the manual it says to turn on the ignition and ground it for 5 seconds for mode1 or tap it 5 times in two seconds on a ground source then hold it down...I tried both ways numerous times and no blinking from the fi light...am I doing it wrong or do I not have any code issues?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts