Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to take apart the sensor and found the contacts covered with crap. After a good clean up and slightly stretching the spring, the sensor is working properly again, though the real test will be tomorrows ride.
Now all I need to do is take apart that clutch lever switch and do the same to that.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Gerry.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where is the sensor?

I am having the usual "can't start my bike in any gear but neutral" and need to know where this sensor is so I can perform the same cleaning. Do you have any pictures or written instructions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still can't start my bike in any other gear but neutral, but I'm yet to strip the switch under the clutch lever. As for the Gear Position Sensor, it's just below(and to the front) of the engine sprocket. It has a loom that is moulded into the sensor and fixed in with two phillips head screws. The contacts were black with residue so clean them with a ultra fine emery paper as well as the pin you see in the space where the sensor came out from. (NOTE- TUCK SOME NEWSPAPER IN BELOW THIS PIN AS A BEARING IS IN VIEW AND HAS A SMALL SPACE WHERE SOMETHING CAN FALL INTO)
This pin also has a small spring behind it which I stretched slightly.
This did not solve the problem of not being able to start the bike in gear with clutch in. I'm hoping the clutch switch will do that.
My 12 is a 2001,I bought it with 0 kay's on the dial,for the first year I was able to start the bike in gear with clutch in but after a while I was not able to anymore, I don't know the reason for this and so far have not been able to find someone who can tell me why.
The problem I had with this gear sensor was that I had no signal from it telling the ECU that the bike was in neutral, so was unable to start it most of the time, and not being able to start it in gear with clutch in didn't help either.
I'm doing the clutch switch this weekend so I'll post how that goes.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
For the clutch sensor you can take a flat tip screwdriver, or a knife,
depress the plunger. Slide the screwdriver off and let the plunger snap back out. Do this a few times. This will probably work the first few times the switch fails....at least it did on mine.

·
Registered
25,351 Posts
MarkPMB said:
depress the plunger. Slide the screwdriver off and let the plunger snap back out. Do this a few times. This will probably work the first few times the switch fails....at least it did on mine.
Exactly true... A spray of contact cleaner (Rich will tell you to use WD-40) will also help as you "snap" the crud out of the switch!! :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you ride the bike with the sensor unplugged? If so, did you notice any power difference in the first 3 gears?

Silver12rider said:
Finally got around to take apart the sensor and found the contacts covered with crap. After a good clean up and slightly stretching the spring, the sensor is working properly again, though the real test will be tomorrows ride.
Now all I need to do is take apart that clutch lever switch and do the same to that.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Gerry.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the thing is if you unplug the sensor I don't think you'll be able to start the bike. The only thought I have is to "trick" the ECU into thinking it's in netural all the time. Don't know what this would do.
Just a thought I had. Might try it some time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Silver12rider said:
No, the thing is if you unplug the sensor I don't think you'll be able to start the bike. The only thought I have is to "trick" the ECU into thinking it's in netural all the time. Don't know what this would do.
Just a thought I had. Might try it some time.
I think I might try, just for grins, to unplug the shift-position sensor to see if the rumor is true that Kawasaki reduced the power in the first 3 gears. If it's true, I wonder just how much power difference there is.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, if you unplugged the speed sensor, then would there be a top speed limit anymore?

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
GO 200 said:
MarkPMB said:
Exactly true... A spray of contact cleaner (Rich will tell you to use WD-40) will also help as you "snap" the crud out of the switch!! :wink: :wink:
I always seem to have WD40 handy.... Hell I sometime carry it in the tail of my bike... WD40 also works as hand cleaner and I can go on... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got to take appart the clutch lever switch for a good going over and presto! bike now starts in any gear with clutch in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
This could be the cause of my non-starting problem

When yours wasn't starting.... could you still turn the engine over or was it completely dead?

Yours in anticipation.

ten

·
Registered
284 Posts
Opening the clutch switch...

What size of phillips did anyone use to open the clutch lever switch to clean it out? I started to strip mine a little using what I believe to be the correct size of phillips?

Do I need some of that Sears "Grip Doctor" stuff?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tenbears, engine would not turn over. Dash does it's usual check and then when I hit the starter the FI light will light up. The clutch sensor was not engaging properly thats all. Now it's fine.

James2008, The screws are very soft. Do what was posted above and turn you're lever upside down on the bars and re-tighten them. This method enabled me to use much more downward force. I used a small driver from a set I have but sizes are not noted sorry. Be shure the driver you have is a phillips and not a pozie drive. Mine were extremely tight and gave a crack noise when they free'd.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Damn

I have all your symptons, but the engine does turn over... having removed the alarm completely, and hearing ECU failures are very rare, I was hoping it might just be this.

Its worth checking out anyway. I've noticed there's alot of crud chucked out round the front sprocket – it spreads itself on the inside of the lower fairing, gunging up the breather pipes in the process. I'm sure its quite possible the sensor is gunged up.

When it was running, it wouldn't fire up in gear with the clutch pulled in, but would start in Neutral. There were one or two incidences where I pushed the starter and absolutely nothing happened, but as they were isolated incidences I ignored it.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
ZX12richard said:
GO 200 said:
MarkPMB said:
I always seem to have WD40 handy.... Hell I sometime carry it in the tail of my bike... WD40 also works as hand cleaner and I can go on... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I KNEW that wasnt NOS back there Rich....its WD40 !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tenbears

Hey Tenbears, it will cost you alittle postage, but if you want to send me your ECU I will check it out on one of our cars. If you have someone close you can put your ecu on their bike. 2000 will only fit 2000. Other years will work.

5-0

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tenbears, there are two sensors coming into play here.
(When it was running, it wouldn't fire up in gear with the clutch pulled in, but would start in Neutral) This is the sensor under the clutch lever,left handlebar which needs cleaning.
(There were one or two incidences where I pushed the starter and absolutely nothing happened, but as they were isolated incidences I ignored it.) When this happened did you notice on the dash that you had no netural light even though the box was infact in netural? This was the case with me. Thats the gear position sensor infront of the front sprocket that needs the contacts cleaned. This sensor is in oil and leaves a residue fouling the contacts. Also slightly stretch the small spring on the plunger, you'll see it when you remove the sensor. I also used a impact driver for this as bolts are also very soft. I replaced the bolts removed with high tensile allen heads.

·
Registered
518 Posts
checked both sensors

.... they appear fine, although the clutch lever sensor was quite badly oxidised, and its worth noting the gear selector sensor has a plastic [near bakelite] construction and its very easy to tighten the mounting screws and crack either lug. Care is needed.

Anyway, still not firing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I still can't start my bike in any other gear but neutral, but I'm yet to strip the switch under the clutch lever. As for the Gear Position Sensor, it's just below(and to the front) of the engine sprocket. It has a loom that is moulded into the sensor and fixed in with two phillips head screws. The contacts were black with residue so clean them with a ultra fine emery paper as well as the pin you see in the space where the sensor came out from. (NOTE- TUCK SOME NEWSPAPER IN BELOW THIS PIN AS A BEARING IS IN VIEW AND HAS A SMALL SPACE WHERE SOMETHING CAN FALL INTO)
This pin also has a small spring behind it which I stretched slightly.
This did not solve the problem of not being able to start the bike in gear with clutch in. I'm hoping the clutch switch will do that.
My 12 is a 2001,I bought it with 0 kay's on the dial,for the first year I was able to start the bike in gear with clutch in but after a while I was not able to anymore, I don't know the reason for this and so far have not been able to find someone who can tell me why.
The problem I had with this gear sensor was that I had no signal from it telling the ECU that the bike was in neutral, so was unable to start it most of the time, and not being able to start it in gear with clutch in didn't help either.
I'm doing the clutch switch this weekend so I'll post how that goes.

When removing on the 04/05 zx12r is there a small ball bearing that comes out from behind the sensor along with the spring and pin? Or just a pin and spring

1 - 20 of 21 Posts