Kawasaki World banner

GF just got a 2015 300 NINJA

7K views 46 replies 4 participants last post by  Duck00 
#1 · (Edited)
Hope this is the correct location for the 300! (MODS, please move to more appropriate location if needed.)

Yup, she got a used 300 Ninjette for track days. She rides mostly AMA course at Auto Club Speedway. I haven't seen very much traffic on this site regarding the 300. Anyway, I may have some silly questions regarding set-up for her bike. (Gearing/suspension, et.al.)

Thanks for looking.

Norty

#3 ·
Over here in Aus. they have a 300 ninja racing class, very popular and the 300's seem to go quite strongly too! It is a feeder class for the beginner racers.

They seem to be a natural progression of the previous 250zzr bike that my wife did most of her learners class on - great beginners bike.

Having a wife/gf who also rides can make bike related things (such as that "special purchase" item for the 12) that much easier as they seem to "understand" one's needs in this area!

Don.

#4 ·
I rode the 300 yesterday. Quite a fun bike. First 300 I've ever ridden. Quite peppy for what it is too. Tried a maximum performance acceleration test. Very impressed. Clutchless WFO shifts are a breeze. Light & nimble. Like a motorcycle is supposed to be. Last 250 I rode was a XT 250 in Dirt Ventures riding school. Before that was my new 1978 KL250A1...
Before that was my 1974 CZ 250 Black frame.
This 300 had almost as much power as my CZ. Very impressive.

#7 ·
Not knowing much about the 300 (or the class for that matter,) what tires would be suitable for the track? (AMA full course at Fontucky.)

Also, gearing. I'm going +1-0 for the time being. Any input here?

Lastly, anyone weigh their stock end can? If it's heavy, I may see if Mr. Muzzy has something lighter.

#10 ·
She had a great time Friday at Fontana. The AMA course is big for a little 300, but she rode it well.
She had trackday tires installed that morning. Dunlop A-13's. What a difference new track rubber makes.
Here she is heading onto the track.

She rode with her buddy on a 250. It's modded.

Here she is during a session.

Proud of her for doing so well.

#14 ·
That's fantastic NORTY!

I bet she had a ball doing that, a few years ago my wife did an advanced rider's course at a local track as part of her road riding training a year after getting her licence. She really enjoyed it, that was on a 2000 zzr600, quite a heavy bike for a small woman but she road it well.

Your girlfriend would have been grinning from ear to ear!!

Don.

#19 ·
Just an awesome day.
To all of you riders out there going too fast on the street, quit making excuses and try a trackday. Yes, it will kick your ass, but do it anyway. I'm going to try to post up a video of her friend "Cat."

#21 · (Edited)
Vast improvement from a year ago. Same Ninja 250cc, on the full AMA course at Fontana, Cal.
About a 10-15 second per lap improvement.
Notice how she moves around by "lifting" and not sliding over. This is a primary cause of instability that becomes "head shake."
She's much better at moving now.
The first video is after Jake Zemke coached her. This one is before~

#22 ·
Track days are some of the best fun you can have on a bike!

I soon learnt where I was in the pecking order on track days, usually sit around mid to high in the intermediate class. I'm happy with that as I find my limits relatively safely on a track, you have to learn how to let go of any ego and just enjoy it, and I believe it helps in everyday road riding too.

#26 ·
Yes, she really is. She hasn't "hit" a mental wall yet, so that's good. Next up, we need some ChickenHawk tire warmers to reduce heat cycles. We won't visit the track again until it cools off some.

After doing trackdays on a more powerful bike/car, it sure is nice not having to replace consumables so quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.