Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I was thinking about buying a 2002 - ZX12R, is it still worth buying nowadays?
I haven't seen it in person yet but here are the pictures, it doesn't have the side fairings but I found it for a really low price

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey, for sure it doesnt have catalytic converter. He didnt rev it on video so its hard to say about engine condition. Fi/oil light is on while idle, thats wrong.
I'm always suspicious when it comes to bike with out exhaust, its so loud You can't hear malfunctions of it.
In Poland was very common back in a days to sell bikes with out side fairings so if frame head was moved, front wheel doesn't touch the fairings.

If You asking about zx12r, its great bike. Very powerfull even those days, huge torque. However service jobs are more complicated because different frame that "regular" sportbikes. Its also heavier than modern bikes. Design is timeless and visual more lighter that hayabusa or cbr xx.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, for sure it doesnt have catalytic converter. He didnt rev it on video so its hard to say about engine condition. Fi/oil light is on while idle, thats wrong.
I'm always suspicious when it comes to bike with out exhaust, its so loud You can't hear malfunctions of it.
In Poland was very common back in a days to sell bikes with out side fairings so if frame head was moved, front wheel doesn't touch the fairings.

If You asking about zx12r, its great bike. Very powerfull even those days, huge torque. However service jobs are more complicated because different frame that "regular" sportbikes. Its also heavier than modern bikes. Design is timeless and visual more lighter that hayabusa or cbr xx.
You have been so helpful!
You made me notice stuff I didn't see
What do you think I should check for when I go see for the engine condition or let him send me a video about?
Because I'm not very experienced

The zx12r is definetly a great bike and as tou said the design is timeless!

·
Registered
648 Posts
You have been so helpful!
You made me notice stuff I didn't see
What do you think I should check for when I go see for the engine condition or let him send me a video about?
Because I'm not very experienced

The zx12r is definetly a great bike and as tou said the design is timeless!
Sure, glad I can help.
Well first of all maybe he could make a video with revving engine but exhaust should be plugged with rag. It is not very sophisticated :) but will make us hear crankshaft bearing or camshaft chain noise, if failure. Also more pictures will be helpful (in better quality). I dont kno why FI light is on while idling, this can be sign of some issues (there is an instrucion in owners manual how to read codes). Why bikes is with out fairings? In my opinion I will stay out of it, if You dont have any experience with motorcycles servicing.
However must admit I'm suspicious type:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, glad I can help.
Well first of all maybe he could make a video with revving engine but exhaust should be plugged with rag. It is not very sophisticated :) but will make us hear crankshaft bearing or camshaft chain noise, if failure. Also more pictures will be helpful (in better quality). I dont kno why FI light is on while idling, this can be sign of some issues (there is an instrucion in owners manual how to read codes). Why bikes is with out fairings? In my opinion I will stay out of it, if You dont have any experience with motorcycles servicing.
However must admit I'm suspicious type:)
I already asked for a video with revving, I've had a motorcyle before but it was a 250cc, I don't have that much experience to be honest, it seems a bit suspicious for me as well but seems the seller didn't really care much about it
He's selling it for 1000 euros, that's why I wouldn't mind spending some to get it back to life ( if possible )

·
Registered
648 Posts
I already asked for a video with revving, I've had a motorcyle before but it was a 250cc, I don't have that much experience to be honest, it seems a bit suspicious for me as well but seems the seller didn't really care much about it
He's selling it for 1000 euros, that's why I wouldn't mind spending some to get it back to life ( if possible )
1000 euro its not much, that's for sure. Well You can always give a shot on this one. Good thing is that engine fire up, so overall its not that bad :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
You say you had a 250 motorcycle before and admit you have little experience . In my opinion its a cheap bike but if this bike is running as it should and the last thing you rode was a 250 . I feel i have to warn you this thing will exceed most 250,s in first gear. Be warned Be careful .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1000 euro its not much, that's for sure. Well You can always give a shot on this one. Good thing is that engine fire up, so overall its not that bad :)
I'm thinking about it, because I have seen two others here for around 4000
The engine fires up, atleast there is a good sign here haha :)
Do you mind if I ask your opinion more in the future?

·
Registered
29 Posts
You wil make that back in spares easily . Its very cheap . There are some very clever people on this site so always ask the question . You will always get help on this site

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You say you had a 250 motorcycle before and admit you have little experience . In my opinion its a cheap bike but if this bike is running as it should and the last thing you rode was a 250 . I feel i have to warn you this thing will exceed most 250,s in first gear. Be warned Be careful .
Thank you so much for your comment, I really appreciate it :)
My last motorcycle was 250cc but I've been riding for a few years, I guess I meant I have little experience in motorcycle servicing.

Trust me, I'm already worried of how a beast this is and I'll try to be careful, I know it's a big jump from 250

As i said again, thank you for the advice :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You wil make that back in spares easily . Its very cheap . There are some very clever people on this site so always ask the question . You will always get help on this site
Sorry I didn't get it, what did you mean by making it back in spares easily?

And about the site, you guys are amazing!
I just joined a day ago and it's been great and helpful :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm thinking about it, because I have seen two others here for around 4000
The engine fires up, atleast there is a good sign here haha :)
Do you mind if I ask your opinion more in the future?
You can ask me for advice in future, no problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the bike doesnt work out like you hope and its a lemon . You could break it for spares . Wheels brakes forks frame if straight engine parts if good . It will all sell .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts