Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advise

During the break-in period, i've run my bike with mineral motor oil. Got 7000 miles on it now.

When I going to prepair the bike for winter, i'm going from mineral to synthetic.
Is there any specific procedure, or just as I always do (get the engine warm---->drain the oil---->put in new oil + filter).

Flyboy

·
Registered
294 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't store the bike with synthetic. I put the bike up for the winter and then when it comes spring, I only run it until it is up to operating temp to drive off condensation and then change the oil. You are probably better off putting new (dino) oil in and not running it for winter. It will save money with no harm done to the engine.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I do the same as Nebraska, except I start mine every 3 weeks and run it for about 20 minutes. I cover the radiator in the winter and with my arctic winter suit on, I am good for a 5 mile sprint if the roads are clear. Come springtime, out comes the dino oil.

If the snow is really bad, I tie a ski to the front wheel, and put chains on the back. The zx12 makes for one hell of a snowmobile, but stopping is interesting..... If you are gonna try this, you probably want to be drunk first, as I find the broken ribs don't hurt as much.... :shock:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Blitz, if you've gotta photo, of such a stunt, then post it for us :!: I'm sure we won't laugh too much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nebraska

Thats the way I used to store my bike, but then I heard my dealer say something about "acid build up due to combustion" (combustion-acid...I don't know the proper English word) and that's the reason to change the oil before jou store your bike

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Right. The accepted procedure is to put fresh oil in it for Winter storage so oil contaminated by blow-by will be removed so the acids don't attack engine internals. Then change the oil again in the Spring so any effects of condensation are removed. I used to follow that religiously, however, I have 3 streetbikes and I can't see throwing 10 quarts of oil away in March that hasn't done anything but sit in a crankcase. I change it in the Fall, ride when weather permits over the Winter, and change after 3000 miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You won't get the acid from combustion if it is started enough for it not to settle and "pitt" parts, or change your oil with it warm and then not start it again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts