Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 2000 12r for for what I paid for it earlier this summer (3300 $). I just spotted a 2002 B1 with 22k miles for only $2200! Its good mecanically just has some beat up fairings. I see some different options and price points for complete fairing sets on ebay. Anyone have any experience with the chinese fairing kits? Any other options with cost being a consideration?
Unfortunately the 1100 difference between the 2 bikes was grabbed up by necessities like kids braces and next yr school enrollment fees. Thanks for any advice or suggestions

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You might want to go to Advanced Search and use the keywords 'Chinese Fairing'. The quick summary is -

All required modification to fit.
All were thinner and weaker than OEM.
Some were so far off as to be unusable.
Some melted or cracked quickly.
Some riders were satisfied with them.

The OEM parts are rare on the used market and $$$$$ new.

Good luck getting your bike fixed up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a friend that had a set.. they were like a model car body!! Lasted one summer. Fiberglass may be a better bet depending on your access to a bodyshop for paint etc. It requires a lot of prep but can be made nice. And stays nice!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I got nearly 6 months out of my cheap, chinese fairings before the tank cover and upper fairings started showing stress cracks. You get what you pay for.

That being said, I chose the set I did because it came with the tank cover. This meant that the whole set was thermoformed (or "compression molded" as the ebay ads tell you) from Kydex or something similar. This is a material that's really good at room temperature, but once it heats up it deforms very badly...thus the thermo part of thermoforming. If you go with fairings off ebay, make sure they are from ABS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2 cents

Hey guys, got chinese fairings in october for my 12. First off, fitting the head fairing was a pain int the ass !!! Holes for the headlights were too small. Had to file it for a proper fit. Be extra careful with filing them !!! The look is nice, but like other members have said, it's no comparison to the stock fairings. Also, they hate heat. Rode about 600 miles in cold weather and the right lower fairing started to deform. I ordered heatshield on Ebay. As soon i get it, i'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts