Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am dealing with Metzeler m5 interact tires except the rear tire got a nail in it. I used the Dynaplug plug kit and have three plugs 4 inches above sidewall (if the bike is on the sidestand plug touches asphalt).
My questions are
can I ride the bike like this for a bit?
Secondly..obviously I need to replace the tire. In looking at a Shinko 009 or one of the many models in a 200 50 17 size. Am I ok running a Shinko in back Metzeler up front and Shinko any good?
What's worse is my budget is low so another Metzeler rear tire isn't an option.
Thanks guys or gals

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I used the Dynaplug plug kit and have three plugs 4 inches above sidewall (if the bike is on the sidestand plug touches asphalt).
I'm finding this hard to picture in my head, could you put a photo up of it?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hi MattKoller I don't like the idea of riding too long on a road side tyre repair, but they do get you home, so now you are home what about removing they tyre and getting it repaired with a good plug that has a larger surface area and is installed from the inside out, but not if the puncture is in the sidewall good luck and I am also a fan of the M5 I now have the M7rr

Attachments

Reactions: AFKAN

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I’ve never ridden on plugged tires more then just to get it home also never mixed matched tire brands front/back. Sounds like a horrible idea but I get money being an issue an sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck an be safe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi MattKoller I don't like the idea of riding too long on a road side tyre repair, but they do get you home, so now you are home what about removing they tyre and getting it repaired with a good plug that has a larger surface area and is installed from the inside out, but not if the puncture is in the sidewall good luck and I am also a fan of the M5 I now have the M7rr
I know this post of mine is a month old but this forum out of all the other manufacturers forums is the ONLY one with members who have givin me help....I've never had a mentor to teach me or at least provide advice.
I understand entirely that riding with a plugged tire is dangerous. I only ride the bike because I have no idea what tire to replace the 5 year old Metzeler.
And I don't do twistties but now I hear a 200 55 rear size is better. Why would the bike not come stock with a 200 55 tire? I'm on a budget simply because my previous CBR 929RR was stolen and I did everything I could financially to get this one owner B1 ZX12R. I can't yet afford to even change the oil which is gonna be $75 at least.
Anyways...I hear Metzeler is my most affordable option since my riding skills will not for at least a few years require a $300 Pirelli. Unfortunately a Dunlop Q3 may end up on the bike or even a Shinko 011 verge or 005 Advance. Anything is better than a tire with a plug in it correct?.
Any ideas for what I can get for around $175?. Like I said if I had the money I would go with Dunlop Q3 or Pirelli

Thanks every one in here for actualy helping me out even though my questions are dumb.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
we use motul 3000 series at work. its a great quality mineral oil, as good as some synthetics.
another good cheap alternative is rotella t4 15 40. (yes the stuff for diesels) ive used it in turbo bikes as have other guys that have high performance machines.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
With nails, wire or screws that go straight in.
When I first put a bicycle patch on the inside of a tyre I was worried, but after fitting a couple more to it without problems, its not slowed me down and I wore the tyre out.
I've also used Mushroom plugged tyres till they've worn out too, and its only the first few miles you seem to worry about them.
But I suppose it depends on the quality of the fix.

With punctures that go in at an angle you need one of those wiggle worm type fixes but I've not tried one of those. I'll have to get some though to go with the mushrooms. But I would probably put a patch on the inside when I got home.

Reactions: AFKAN

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Replace those 5 year old tires anyway, specially the one with plugs in it..

Shinkos are junk..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jesuschristallmighty U are riding a 175+BHP bike laying down 90 FPT your rear hoop will be spinning up in third gear trying to rip of the tire .U are without a doubt heading for death big style unless u bin your tire .Shinko tires are only used on lawn mowers & scooters in the UK they are shite .I use Maxxis sports touring on my bike they last longer & dont compromise grip or handling .Whatever u do scrap the plugged tire with whatever u can afford even if its a mix match & ride accordingly until funds allow .LIVELONG&PROSPER

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Jesuschristallmighty U are riding a 175+BHP bike laying down 190 FPT your rear hoop will be spinning up in third gear trying to rip of the tire .U are without a doubt heading for death big style unless u bin your tire .Shinko tires are only used on lawn mowers & scooters in the UK they are shite .I use Maxxis sports touring on my bike they last longer & dont compromise grip or handling .Whatever u do scrap the plugged tire with whatever u can afford even if its a mix match & ride accordingly until funds allow .LIVELONG&PROSPER
I have been using Shinko's for years. They are great tires for what they are... If you do not push the outer limits of your tires, there is no need to get much else. You can get a bugatti veyron and keep the stock $17k tires, but what is the point if you only drive it on the street?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Point taken. Dunlop D208J model was the original equipment on the rear and D208FJ for the front. I am probably going to go with the Metzeler M7RR. I have a almost new but 4 year old Metzeler M5 Interact up front, so this hopefully will be the safest and best route i can go. The bike is parked obviously(and because my fast idle is inoperative because of bad routing) so i guess i just need to figure out the cheapest place i can pick the tire up. So far I have heard good things about the M7RR.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With u on the Dunlops AFKAN Teflon crap i think they are O/E on Kawasaki's shame .Ran a ZX10 + a ZX9 in the past but binned the Dunlops ASP there is a lot better rubber out there at same cost

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well Shiiiiiiiiit. not much selection here(revzilla,motosport,Cyclegear) for tires but how bout 200 55 Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 or 3's? Im not going to be getting a knee down anytime soon so im going to be mostly cruising and running down the 1/4 mile here from time to time. whats under 160 bucks thats still a 200mm rear but can match up with my Metzeler M5 front?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
well Shiiiiiiiiit. not much selection here(revzilla,motosport,Cyclegear) for tires but how bout 200 55 Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 or 3's? Im not going to be getting a knee down anytime soon so im going to be mostly cruising and running down the 1/4 mile here from time to time. whats under 160 bucks thats still a 200mm rear but can match up with my Metzeler M5 front?
Shinko...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shinko...
seriously? ive heard Shinkos compared to everything from raw hamburger meat to vaseline in terms of traction and slipperiness. trash, garbage, you will die if you look at em wrong etc etc. I was seriously considering them before because of my riding style (no knee down stuff) however they have the 009 Raven, the 010 Verge the 011 Verge X2 the 005 etc all super cheap. a cheap Shinko or equivalent would be temporary. that being said are Shinkos actually not that bad? are they not comparable to riding with tires made of gogurt and play-doh?

apologies for the raw meat and vaseline reference lol

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
seriously? ive heard Shinkos compared to everything from raw hamburger meat to vaseline in terms of traction and slipperiness. trash, garbage, you will die if you look at em wrong etc etc. I was seriously considering them before because of my riding style (no knee down stuff) however they have the 009 Raven, the 010 Verge the 011 Verge X2 the 005 etc all super cheap. a cheap Shinko or equivalent would be temporary. that being said are Shinkos actually not that bad? are they not comparable to riding with tires made of gogurt and play-doh?

apologies for the raw meat and vaseline reference lol
They are not bad, and are used in the drag strip crowd. They are not the best in knee dragging corners, but my personal believe is your knee should only be dragging on a track. Since I do not track my 12, Shinkos are what I use. I am on my second set and never lose traction even under hard acceleration.

The bad reviews you will hear, are from people who push their bike to the level where they need super sticky compounds. If you push your bike, then get the tire you need, if you ride around safely on the street only occasionally going 100+ mph, Shinkos are all you need.

I am happy, and my next set will be Shinkos again. I use the 009 Raven. I also use a 190 rear. I have heard from others who say Shinkos do not have the right tire angle for knee dragging, I never go that far to the edge of my tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
wow. question tho

They are not bad, and are used in the drag strip crowd. They are not the best in knee dragging corners, but my personal believe is your knee should only be dragging on a track. Since I do not track my 12, Shinkos are what I use. I am on my second set and never lose traction even under hard acceleration.

The bad reviews you will hear, are from people who push their bike to the level where they need super sticky compounds. If you push your bike, then get the tire you need, if you ride around safely on the street only occasionally going 100+ mph, Shinkos are all you need.

I am happy, and my next set will be Shinkos again. I use the 009 Raven. I also use a 190 rear. I have heard from others who say Shinkos do not have the right tire angle for knee dragging, I never go that far to the edge of my tires.
yea thats what i have been thinking all along. I had a 929RR Fireblade and that was for dragging knee and elbow over red and white parts of a track which isnt what a 12R is meant to do anyway.

do you have or heard any opinions on the rest of the shinko line up? I am mostly worried about center tire wear being a drag racer. anyways, I was looking at pure value which is why i almost bought the 009 but you say it has a not so round profile. theres the 010 the 012 verge 005 Shinko etc etc they are all available in the 200 50 or 55 series which i might do because of the prices are so low less than 110 bucks.
But i found a Bridgestone Battlax S20 Hypersport 200/50 for a $140 off Amazon which I assume will help my bike not be so heavy in the front. Its sluggish and the nose feels very heavy. bike doesnt want to lean over at all. I am assuming the Bridgestone will be nice and happy with my Metzeler M5 front tire and wont make the bike feel stranger than it is, hence why i feel like i should go for a Pirelli Diablo or the Bridgestone. OR IM just a dumbass who cant setup his bike correctly.....

anyways thanks again for the first real response on Shinkos. Only thing is why did you go with the Raven for the back and not another shinko model like the 010, 005 and what tire you runnin up front if you dont mind me asking all this shyte. Oh and why the 190 rear and not a 200-55 rear like I am trying to find..I assume it helps these big ass bikes turn?

thanks man

1 - 20 of 33 Posts