Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out with the manky steel original and in with a new ZZR1200 arm.Already had the ZZR11D wheel in.One 2mm spacer for sprocket clearance and 3.5mm trimmed off the arm to centre it,GPZ sleeve and spacer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ZX1100 swingarm conversion questions

That looks really good :thumbup:

I have a 97 zx1100f model (the one with ABS) and have been looking for a nicer swingarm to replace the standard one (has a few scratches and is generally ugly).

But my being an ABS model I have to keep the stock wheel+brake caliper.
this could work with the ZZR1200 swingarm (as opposed to the ZZR1100) as this has the "stop" for the caliper bracket on the inside of the right arm.

I have a few questions though:
1. did the swingarm fit w/o additional work on the bearing side?
2. Also, did you reuse the stock dog-bones, shock etc.?
3. chain guard - did you use the stock or the zzr1200 item?

(hope you dont mind alle these ? - this is the first post I have seen on this subject :mfclap:

cheers,
Steen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the chain side of the arm I removed 3.5mm, unfortunately this leaves you needing to reduce the depth of the dust seal (dremel gently until it fitted flush).Doing it that way had no effect on reliability and meant no further adjustments to the swingarm. Insert the Gpz pivot sleeve and spacer, the arm is then centered to the shock mount and the original dog bones and linkage are retained. It raised the rear by around 5mm.The rear wheel was the ZZR11d before I did the swingarm swap so I can't say for sure if the original Gpz wheel will be an easy fit. I am still using the Gpz wheel spacers with as I said an extra 2mm on the sprocket carrier to clear the arm. It should be just a case of spacering the wheel to achieve chain alignment, if that's correct the wheel will be also. This was all done with basic garage tools and was relatively easy to do. You just need to measure as accurately as possible before you start. I cross-referenced a lot of the spacer widths and stuff using the 'PARTS DIAGRAMS' link on Kawasaki.com (the American site). Sorry I didn't take any more pictures or write anything down. Hope this helps in some way.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great - no need to apologise -this is all very good info :thumbup:

Just to be sure:
The 3.5 mm you removed is on the left side of the swingarm pivot? (in order to center the shock mount - as you write)

Also, did you use the ZZR chain guard (need to know if I have to buy one of those as well) ?

And agree 100% wrt. measuring - that is important.

And the 5mm extra ride height - I already have fitted other dog-bones to raise it 20mm - so this may be too much of a good thing :lol:
Ah well - will have to be tested.

Again thanks for the information - very helpful. :clap:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shock is an Ohlins from a 'P' model ZX6R with an uprated spring(10nm I think), length and mounting points identical to stock GPZ shock but so much nicer.
Chain guard is an aftermarket hugger for ZZR1200, so a standard guard from that model with a small adjustment to avoid the frame rail will work. Definitely 3.5mm from the sprocket side of the arm. It is easier to make your own chain guide at the front of the arm than it is to modify the ZZR12 one.2 nylon blocks of the correct profile will bolt on the original holes so it can follow the chain line without worries. It was the only part I had outside help with. One important point is when you go to remove the old swingarm do as Mr Kawasaki says and slacken off the engine mounting bolts.It is so much easier, trust me. Good luck and any further questions you know where to find me.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts