Kawasaki World banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
hey Scott, that looks awesome. what type/brand/model of soldering iron/gun do you use/recommend for a small job like this, or for that magic box you built me?
(btw i finally got the Schnitz order placed so ill have the brackets finished soon :) )
15-Watt Soldering Iron with Grounded Tip - RadioShack.com

as for doing the gauge clusters for people here I'm still pondering weather i want to or not
time is something i don't have a lot of ,but maybe as long as patience is kept my only free time is on the weekends so if you ship it and i get it on a Tuesday it wont be done and shipped till the following Monday so keep that in mind once i have thought it over ill let all who inquired know

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
oh ya sly since u seem to be such a wiz with electronics u think u could come up with a way to listen and control an ipod while riding wirelessly? :crazyloco:
yea its called an FM transmitter for an ipod that will transmit on an empty FM station then all ya need is a FM radio and ear buds then everyone within range could listen
as for controlling its functions thats easy enough I'm sure they have wireless remotes for ipods too

hey sly, any chance you could completely redo a cluster with that type of LED?
if you mean all the lamps to LEDs i guess so but thats what illumiglow gauges are for lol

·
Registered
747 Posts
wheres the pic XENO Bambino? talked to those guys at that website you posted above,, they dont seem to think the incandescent will work as well as what your running right now..?? is your legible at night or is it too dim? you cant swap the guts from yours to Slys?
ill get those pics today been real tied up with work sorry also need to pick up some batteries for the camera :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
yea its called an FM transmitter for an ipod that will transmit on an empty FM station then all ya need is a FM radio and ear buds then everyone within range could listen
as for controlling its functions thats easy enough I'm sure they have wireless remotes for ipods too

if you mean all the lamps to LEDs i guess so but thats what illumiglow gauges are for lol
been looking for something for the ipod in blutooth

also called radio shack today they only have 3 of those leds on hand just wonder if that would be enough to get the effect u have

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Zum there are different configurations of the illumiglos,, in the day light mine are white,, but at night,, mine look like your pic above except for the glowing needle,, my brothers set back light the face and it makes it very distracting,, i will try and post a pic tonight,, dont get me wrong i like that glowing needle doohicky,, but i like what i have now so it will stay,, now as soon as i see how XENOs gauges look,, i might bombard the gauges with twist ins until we see what Slys plan are..

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
here is a pic of mine,, they are white in the day time...

still waitin on a pic of XENOs,, i might just be fine with the way they look...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah, I'm waiting and watching too. I'd like to go with some white gauge faces (like Wylde's) and some blue bulbs for the display panel - just do it all at once. Slykitty's conversion is very sweet, but I think a bit more than I'm comfortable trying. I'm hopeful that the little blue twist in bulbs will be good enough.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yea,, and while were on the topic of LEDs,, there once was a thread about an LED that fit in place where the little running light is above the headlights,, anyone know where the thread is or even better what part# that little suckers? and who might carry em...

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The twist in LEDs didn't work too well. They're very bright and do not disperse very well, resulting in "streaky" illumination.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
HMMM,, now im thinking that Xeno might be on to something,, if your saying they are too bright,, then the glass incandescent bulbs might be the way to go,, they wont be available for another 2 weeks or so?????,, i would still like to see a pic!,, im not sur eif AFKAN had that set up in the thread he was posting pics on..PING

·
Registered
747 Posts
wylde im sorry i got called into work i just got home and its 4am :( just bare with me ill get those pics as promised

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hi there,

I am waiting for some T3 led's in the post, will have to see how good the light disperses over the clock faces and LED display!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yea,, and while were on the topic of LEDs,, there once was a thread about an LED that fit in place where the little running light is above the headlights,, anyone know where the thread is or even better what part# that little suckers? and who might carry em...
Wylde - No thread needed. The "city light" is a 501/194/T10 (I believe they are all the same), but I got mine on ebay for a few bucks. You actually can just pop it out, go to your local Pep Boys/Autozone/Murrays. I'd bet they have one. Mine is blue. Really noticeable.

Why isn't there a thread on how to post pics??? And where do you guys get the emoticons??? I can't fine em anywhere :-(

·
Registered
645 Posts
I bought a couple different blue incandescent ones at AutoZone. I was hoping to get a blue colored light up front, but no such luck - it's pretty much white (with a very slight bluish cast) when on. I tried two different "shades" of blue with the same result. You can see the blue of the bulb when the bike is off.

I don't have a part number for you, but just pull the existing bulb and take it in with you. The bulbs are pretty common, so they'll definitely have them.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Blade good call ,, just picked up one from Autozone,, changes 7 colors and brighter too.. now back to this damn LCD........

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I bought a couple different blue incandescent ones at AutoZone. I was hoping to get a blue colored light up front, but no such luck - it's pretty much white (with a very slight bluish cast) when on. I tried two different "shades" of blue with the same result. You can see the blue of the bulb when the bike is off.

I don't have a part number for you, but just pull the existing bulb and take it in with you. The bulbs are pretty common, so they'll definitely have them.
I attempted that with my old $25 87 Ninja 250. I went with red to match my rattle-can paintjob. They left a lot of dark spots around the cluster and I shortly thereafter went back to standard bulbs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Blade_69 said:
Sweet. But I already have the white face gauges on mine that light up blue. How much if I shipped mine to you, you do the work and ship back? How long does it take to actually do this? I'm sure since you've done it a few times it doesn't take long. Let's say a decent cost to ship from you to the lower 48 is about $10 UPSP Priority mail with Delivery Confirmation (they do have flat rate boxes this could fit in so it wouldn't actually cost that much). Parts might run another what? $10? $30 labor. $50. Cheap enough to bring in the business, but still make a nice lil profit for yourself. Especially buying in bulk. I know a place here in Chicago that I'm sure you can get the parts for literally pennies. I'll look up the LEDs and resitors and see if I can find them there just so you have an idea. A little extra cash never hurt anyone ;-)

I'm very business minded and have a couple more suggestions is you want to really set it up. If I had the dexterity to do this, I'd already be up and running...lol.

Ok after thinking it over ill do one a week
you send me your cluster after you've shipped paypal me 32.00 actually 30.00 but paypal fees suck plus what ever it cost you to ship to me its gonna vary
if you could buy the LEDs and send them with the cluster if you cant add another 7.50 for the LEDs 1.79 x 4 7.16 plus 5% tax = 7.52 having the LEDs when i get the cluster will speed up the process and there are not that many in my area so if you can find them do it
don't want to hold it up waiting for a shipment

OK theres my ramble heres the break down
32.00 my fee
+7.50 if you cant get the LEDs
??.?? cost of shipping after you know what it cost to ship
total
32.00 if you supply the LEDs
37.50 if i buy them
add shipping
theres your total
get it to me before the weekend and it will ship on Monday morning
please get tracking and insurance!!!!!!!! I'm not gonna be held responsible for
damaged or lost item i will also add insurance and tracking back same cost as you

FIRST UP
Blade_69
anyone else pm me ill add you to the list as soon as i send one out done
ill pm you back with my info so on and so forth

·
Registered
747 Posts
HMMM,, now im thinking that Xeno might be on to something,, if your saying they are too bright,, then the glass incandescent bulbs might be the way to go,, they wont be available for another 2 weeks or so?????,, i would still like to see a pic!,, im not sur eif AFKAN had that set up in the thread he was posting pics on..PING
here is the pic u wanted not the best quality took it on the fly with my phone lol but gives ya an idea what it looks like , just wish i could get it looking like sly's :angry:
i still think that regular blue bulbs will work better i think the light will spread better then leds well thats what comes stock and it lit up good
might still send mine to sly and let an expert do it tho lol i like the color he got his, what im looking for

took that pic while i was installing my new mototeck undertail lol :crazyloco:

zum look like i did it right? color matched up pretty good i think

21 - 40 of 111 Posts