Kawasaki World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if anyone here has used or is using the billet clutch basket that is made and sold by Hays Machine. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Hays Convertable Lockup Clutch in my ZX12. It is the best clutch I have ever used. Hays does very nice work. The billet basket listed on his website is for the convertable lockup. I did not see one for an OEM replacement if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I wanted it for. I guess I should give them a call. They had them on ebay for a while and the description didn't say anything about it only working with their other products. Thanks

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
used it. works great. the only thing special about it is the holes drilled at the top for adding a convertible assembly later on, will fit under the stock cover with all stock components.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That`s very cool they are making parts for the zx12r. It`s turning into a relic . And that`s very sad for me................

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
Very nice find! Like Mark said, very cool about them still making parts for the 12.

My 12 has 33K and change miles on it with many passes at the strip on the Muzzys billet basket and I wonder at times if I shouldn't be looking to replace it but didn't know where or even if I would find another new billet basket. May have to do this down the road.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
hes had that out for several yrs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very nice find! Like Mark said, very cool about them still making parts for the 12.

My 12 has 33K and change miles on it with many passes at the strip on the Muzzys billet basket and I wonder at times if I shouldn't be looking to replace it but didn't know where or even if I would find another new billet basket. May have to do this down the road.
What don't you like about the muzzy basket? Why are you looking to switch?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went ahead and ordered a basket from Muzzy this morning. They seem to have the only website that you can actually buy directly from. A few hours later I got an email saying they are out of baskets and are having some made. Looks like 2-3 weeks away. I sat on my hands far too long.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
So I went ahead and ordered a basket from Muzzy this morning. They seem to have the only website that you can actually buy directly from. A few hours later I got an email saying they are out of baskets and are having some made. Looks like 2-3 weeks away. I sat on my hands far too long.
Did you end up getting the Hays billet basket, and is it like the Falicon one that includes the whole clutch basket assembly? I just looked at the website and only saw the basket without backing plate, springs etc.

The used Falicon basket I have produces a heavy vibration on take off at low revs (1,700 - 2000rpm). I contacted Falicon who said it sounded like the rivets need replacing or similar. That would cost me more for repair than getting a new one! So I'm looking at other options.

Anyone want to buy a "used" billet basket, only used on Sunday's to go to church?

Don.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've been in contact with Hays, MTC, and Falicon. All require the OEM basket to utilise the backing plate/gear/springs etc. prices seem to be roughly equal at the moment. Just have to decide which one. I've still got the used Falicon basket but seems repair is expensive compared to similar costs for a new one!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I would go with hayes .you can all ways update to a convertible clutch latter ,or sell to some one who does
Any reason or just experience with that brand. From what I read there isn't too much difference between the 3, though some think the MTC is finished better.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Does look good! Now I'll have to sort out costs, it would mean putting the used Falicon basket back in while my OEM basket is sent over, at least the Falicon one does work apart from the heavy vibration from taking off. If I don't dawdle in lower revs it isn't so bad so it should be ok till I get another basket back.
Sometimes it's a bugger having to source parts etc from overseas, with the waiting time etc.
Don.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts