Kawasaki World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the bike ready for the drag strip....

I was wondering

A. Do I have to baby my stock clutch? Or can I launch aggressively? I only have full exhaust and pc3 for now.

B. I'm going to inspect clutch and do ks scott mod. Anything I should look for in specific that would make it so I can't launch aggressively?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Early 12 clutch baskets go boom at the drag strip. Fills the case with shrapnel. :thumbdown:

Billet clutch basket will solve the problem.

cmg

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
if you leave as hard as you do from a stop light it will be fine. if you stretch it and have a sticky tire trying to get a decent short time, then it will shatter. the smoother you are, the safer the clutch is. if you rev it up and just dump the clutch, no guarantees on reliability

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Mine blew up the next day jumping on it getting on the hyway.DO NOT DRAG RACE WITHOUT A BILLET BASKET........it could cost you thousands for a replacement engine and miss this whole summer riding..........

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can leave smooth.... and at lower rpm than if I wanted a killer 60 ft.

While opening the basket... anything I can look for that would be a giveaway of a weakened or weaker basket?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
any fool can go in a straight line.
never understood drag racing..
feel free to show me a 6 second time slip or 300 mph lsr ticket. you clearly dont understand what it takes to go in a straight line as youre more than likely no good at it lol

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
I can leave smooth.... and at lower rpm than if I wanted a killer 60 ft.

While opening the basket... anything I can look for that would be a giveaway of a weakened or weaker basket?
doubtful you would see anything, but if you see cracks youre moments away from failure

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone had written you could see how far away from failure the clutch is just by inspecting it....

I will do the oil mod and take it easy until I get the billet clutch.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
you just don`t get it..NO YOU CAN`T SHOOT DOPE.....NO YOU CAN`T DRAGRACE WITHOUT A BILLET BASKET.......KABOOM ......GET IT.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
i put 55 passes on my bike my first wknd drag racing(all stock with a couple bolt on parts). i was extended about 8 in and i had an old hard street tire on and spun off the line every pass. im sure with a sticky tire i wouldnt have gone very many trips down the 1320 lol. my second trip out i had a shinko ultra soft and it made a world of difference. actually able to use the arm length (and put some serious load to the clutch.... serious load requires billet).

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i was reading earlier on this forum of someone who went to strip and was talking about how the stock clutch performed... He was talking about launching very hard, 8-9 thousand rpm...

I was thinking soft roll on around 5000.... Clutch should be fine...

Street tire, stock swingarm. Only pipe and pc3...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts