Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago I installed All Balls Racing tapered roller bearings in my headstem (A1zx12r), same as Warp12 did in his epic 12r thread. Since then I have had to periodically re-tension the stem as I keep getting the slight 'knock' under hard breaking, or if much looser during bumpy roads etc. When I retighten them the symptom goes away so I am sure it is the head stem bearings working loose. Just wandering if anyone else has experienced similar with either these brand/style bearings or other. I have replaced these bearings before in other bikes and not experienced the recurring problem, so I am wondering if for some reason they are not seating properly in the first place.

When I installed them I retained the OEM lower stem seal and added the new lower one on top of the OEM one, as Warp12/Shane did in his thread (page 87ish on his post). Maybe this is the area of concern?

I will be dismantling the front end completely, again, to try and sort it out.

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm thinking Tazio, will check it when apart. Logmaster I've done the same but mine has been doing it for some time now and I haven't experienced this on any other bike as much.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dismantled the front end, checked the head stem for notching and sure enough it has some when turning side to side, also felt slightly 'gritty' feeling during whole range of motion. Could be because of my regular tightenings when it was getting loose all the time. I have checked the inter-webby thingo and found a couple of sites that have DIY head stem nut sockets made from tube style sockets with cut outs for the 'teeth' to slot into the ring nuts. These can then be used to torque the ring nuts to factory spec. Don't know if really needed but I think I may fashion one myself for fun and frivolity. Have ordered some OEM style bearings and seals.

Don.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I made one out of a PVC coupling, cutting in the teeth & melting a nut into it to fit a socket. ( Red Green is my mentor in all things mechanical....and marriage )

I had to be gentle but it did torque to specs. It still needed re-tightening a few times. I set my races using the old ones to drive them in, so I expect i didnt have them seated properly in the first place. I replaced with stock bearings.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting adaptation Logmaster! Yep, going for standard style bearings too. May just be my bad luck with the tapered ones, they certainly look the part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts