Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my bike remapped after fitting a new tps and the bear racing stacks last year (thanks to Vince Hill) and now she is pushing 185bhp at the back wheel. The question is I am thinking of having the head ported and polished plus cams. Is it worth doing as the engine is stock and the bike is for road use. Also what power increase could I get. Many thanks in advance Jim.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Your bike is strong now! :thumbup:
A good port and mill the head to bump compression would
Add power in the high mid range to the limiter for sure.
My stock bottom end, Carpenter port and 385 cams on VP race gas and all the bolt ons made 204 hp. Cams were set at 111 int & 112 ex.
It had no power down low. I just moved the cams to 105 int &107 ex on KZScott recommendation. When the weather breaks I will see how that runs. My head was milled and I'm using a .018 head gasket.( have not heard good things about this head gasket) .
I think the best combo for a stock bottom end will prove to be a good port, mill a little, and a stock intake cam modified and installed on the exhaust side.

cmg

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
just dont get carried away raising cr and you will be fine.
oh and dont actually polish the intake side.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I still have the stock cams degreed to 107in 108 ex with oem head gasket. ace port runs good. still would like more bottom end though..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Your bike is strong now! :thumbup:
A good port and mill the head to bump compression would
Add power in the high mid range to the limiter for sure.
My stock bottom end, Carpenter port and 385 cams on VP race gas and all the bolt ons made 204 hp. Cams were set at 111 int & 112 ex.
It had no power down low. I just moved the cams to 105 int &107 ex on KZScott recommendation. When the weather breaks I will see how that runs. My head was milled and I'm using a .018 head gasket.( have not heard good things about this head gasket) .
I think the best combo for a stock bottom end will prove to be a good port, mill a little, and a stock intake cam modified and installed on the exhaust side.

cmg
that was stock pistons? that's pretty good

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you want to keep it for road use all the time I dont think it would be worth it for you to spend a grand or more on a port and then a grand or so on cams. I would think about a street port and degree the stock cams and extend rev limit about 5 or 600 rpm and go 1 up on the rear sprocket. Way more midrange I would think. This would cost half as much as a race port and cams and still be very streetable. Redsled.

CMG. My cams were set like that on on the the cams you gave me and it worked well. Now its got some compression and it will yank your arms off. Your bike will make you shake you head after the first ride. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
that was stock pistons? that's pretty good

yes stock bore and pistons. bottom was never opened. Carpenters latest 12 port, $800.
the 385s are to big for the stock bottom end, imo. if the .018 cometic HG holds, (head is oringed)
it will hav alittle more compression. moving the C/L down i hope it has more bottom end umph.

cmg

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If you want to keep it for road use all the time I dont think it would be worth it for you to spend a grand or more on a port and then a grand or so on cams. I would think about a street port and degree the stock cams and extend rev limit about 5 or 600 rpm and go 1 up on the rear sprocket. Way more midrange I would think. This would cost half as much as a race port and cams and still be very streetable. Redsled.

CMG. My cams were set like that on on the the cams you gave me and it worked well. Now its got some compression and it will yank your arms off. Your bike will make you shake you head after the first ride. Have fun and be safe.
Jens how are you?!!

well its not going to run like that monster you and Scott built!!!!
i hope it runs better though.

cmg

·
Registered
324 Posts
Im great, just waiting for spring. I wanted more low and midrange. Well, I sure as hell got it. I didnt get a chance to open it up Scott styleie, Just enough to scare me. Scott did most all of the work on this engine. Thats why it goes so good.

My bike is a monster but the hulk is the stuff nightmares are made of.Redsled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts