Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a fairly crusty but all there 1999 ZX9 which has a 2000 upper fairing, fairing bracket and headlights on it. pretty much a complete 2000 front end
as you may know, the 1999 guages do not fit on the 2000 fairing bracket. so today I got my 2000 guages which I had ordered and I was dismayed to find that they did not power up when i plugged them into my 99 harness. Keep in mind the 99 guages work fine so the harness is not defective.
Do I just need a complete 2000 harness to make the 2000 guages work? Or will that lead to yet more electronic parts that need to be swapped?? is this whole 2000 model front end swap a waste of time ??

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Simmer down there teapot.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Its really easy to make the new gauges work .you will need to remap the plug,trust me I have done it to 2 of my bikes and a few others. It is a piece of cake! reply to this thread or PM me and ill walk you thru it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank goodness, someone with some experience in this matter!! Are you saying I need to juggle the wire positions inside the plug? any help is much apprechiated. I will check back for replies- maybe it wouldnt hurt to do it on the board here rather than by PM - so any clueless bodywork swappers like me who have this problem in the future will be able to check this thread! thanks
ben

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was able to get the plug rearranged to please the 2000 gauges (thanks walt!) but I think I made a grave error

I did not disconnect the battery before pulling all the wires out and I may have fried my CDI or my relays or something in the process by allowing live wires to cross.

my new gauges are now working with the exception of the neutral light... however, the starter will not crank and when i manually apply power to the starter to make it crank, there is no spark. I have double checked everything and even went as far as to return all the wires to their original positions and replace my 1999 gauges. No starter, no spark, no neutral light

WTF... all I can figure is that I fried the CDI and or starter relay....i should have disconnected the battery before messing with the plug.

anyone got parts for sale??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might add that I dont think the missing neutral light is what is causing my lack of spark or cranking over because it will not do either or these things even with the clutch pulled in. when you push the start button all you hear is a little fuel pump click and thats it

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Does the oil pressure warning light come on? if not check fuse 3 in the junction box under the front seat. 10Amp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i feel like a complete retard now but It turned out to be a faulty (broken and filled with tiny bits of gravel) clutch switch. Amazingly, the first time it EVER malfunctioned was just after the gauge swap! WTF

I checked it several times in my 8 hour quest to find the problem and only after i bypassed it just for the hell of it was the problem revealed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts