Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NEVER touched my suspension settings. But I would like less "dive" when I apply the front brake, and a little less travel when loaded on the rear. I have no idea how to make adjustments. I saw a guy on the speed channel start to set up a 14 using the guys weight. I'm 6'0' and about 265. Another this is my wife loves to ride with me alot and she's about 165.,......
No track riding,...YET,....my riding is "spirited" jaunts on the street and occasional 50-100 mile trips, sometimes 2up.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I would do a google search for a suspension setup article, there are countless ones floating around out there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I first got my 12 I figured the front was way too soft and after searching I found the front is set for about 125 pounds and the back for 200 when stock.
So I eventually went to a suspension shop to get it set up,it cost $50 and the guy cranked my preload on the front almost all the way if that is any indication.
He also suggested better springs up front and a better shock for the back.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Basic set up is to set the sag first, for the rider weight fully geared up
Shoot for 25-30 mm for the street
Back the compression all the way out
Adjust rebound so that when you push down firmly and quickly, the bike comes back up smoothly and doesn't over return, should take about 1 second or so to come up and settle. Adjust so front and back come up at same rate. Test that by bouncing using the rear of the tank, center of bike.
Lastly do the compression. Look around for recommended settings, and then go for a test ride and fine tune.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Without what I learned from the videos I'd have thought there was something I was doing wrong... I almost started to think I just couldn't figure out my bike. Which would have really been a disappointment because I was not trying to go the cookie cutter roll and get a busa. But for us heavier riders....(230lb+) be ready to get up rated front springs b/c the fronts are very softly sprung but the rear spring can hold a heavyweight.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The stock front and rear springs are way to soft for your weight especially if you put your wife on the back. You will never get the suspension set up correctly until you change out the springs to at least suit your weight! Get some books on how to set up the suspension or read the "how to" sections. I'm set up with stiffer springs all around for my 220 lbs.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sport rider magazine used to have some pretty good articles on suspension set up on their web page.

And fwiw most of the local race/performance shops in PNW USA will do initial set up for ya, for $40-50.

Money well spent... (imho)

Many good vids available on the net (as shown above) but you'll need probably two buddies to help ya, a tape measure and a spanner wrench. (or hammer and punch/screwdriver)

D

·
Registered
187 Posts
The stock front and rear springs are way to soft for your weight especially if you put your wife on the back. You will never get the suspension set up correctly until you change out the springs to at least suit your weight! Get some books on how to set up the suspension or read the "how to" sections. I'm set up with stiffer springs all around for my 220 lbs.
Unless you plan on riding 2 up you won't need to change the rear spring....the spring rate in the rear is almost perfect for riding solo for someone up to 250lb. I've actually talked to a Race Tech rep and looked it up on their web site.
HERE'S THE LINK FOR SPRING RATE CALCULATIONS FOR WEIGHT
http://old.racetech.com/evalving/SpringRateCalculation/dirtspring.asp?brand=Kawasaki&yr=00-01&ml=ZX-12R&formuse=form1&SpringType=Fork
If you won't be doing any high performance/ spirited riding, I wouldn't stress about going too stiff on the spring rate.

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
is the 3 1/2 inches he refered to a universal starting point for the front? what would be the best method to check it on a A-1 without the inverted forks,, and when he was adjusting up top was his going in or out with the adjuster anyone got pics of what valves and screws do what? wouldnt mind getting into mine,, 14K on the bike an i am @ 240-250Lbs. anyone local ever do theirs? it cant be as easy as turning the top adjuster all the way in,, and the center one all the way out can it? and the one at the brake halfway?

·
Registered
187 Posts
is the 3 1/2 inches he refered to a universal starting point for the front? what would be the best method to check it on a A-1 without the inverted forks,, and when he was adjusting up top was his going in or out with the adjuster anyone got pics of what valves and screws do what? wouldnt mind getting into mine,, 14K on the bike an i am @ 240-250Lbs. anyone local ever do theirs? it cant be as easy as turning the top adjuster all the way in,, and the center one all the way out can it? and the one at the brake halfway?
From what I know the 3.5 in is a universal start point to avoid bottoming during heavy breaking/ deep suspension stroke.... The forks on the 1200A are inverted (just well hidden from the front by the fender). Pay close attention to what he's trying to do in the video and stop walking away to grab coffee. Turning the knobs is one thing but the guy he's dealing with has the same issue on the 14 as the 12...the front is way softer than the rear and he's having to compensate for the guy's weight and old fork oil with more damping adjustment.

And since you need info on the A... Here's the link for the full manual pdf.....because the file is too large for me to post too.
Kawasaki ZX12R 2000 - Go Fast Video - Racing Videos

BTW....howdafuk do you post pics on this damned thing????

1 - 20 of 41 Posts