Kawasaki World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help remounting side marker (turn signal) light

Well, I was moving my 12 around in the garage and knocked the left side marker light loose. Is is just dangling there on its wires :) There is a metal plate (actually 2 plates screwed together) on the wire and the rubber stalk and lens are still together. I pulled up a parts fiche and it doesn't look like anything is broken. What is the preferred way to remount the unit. It looks like I will need to get to it from the backside, but am really uneasy removing plastic fairing parts or other. I am hoping there are options for remounting without removing any body parts. Any help is appreciated.
If body parts need to be removed can you tell me which ones and if more than one what order? (I know, this is a no brainer for many of you, sorry)
Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Get a service manual... (think there is a couple PDF ones linked right here somewhere.)

But it's not difficult, just to get the nose cone off the ram air covers need to come off also which means the tank cover which means the seat. Domino effect.

So, it's passenger seat, rider seat, undo the 2 stainless bolts on either side of the gas cap, undo the other screws/bolts on the tank cover (2 front, 2 back), remove tank cover. Then take the ram air covers off, the plastic rivets near the mirrors should just pop right off. Then remove mirrors, screen, undo the 3 screws on each side of the nose cone holding it to the sides, and get your hand under there and just pull the inside bit away from the side fairing (it's held in by a grommet). Loosen the ram air tubes a bit so they will pop off easy. Should slide forward at this point, just need to unplug the headlight, you'll see the plug in the back of the meter cluster.

Once you've got the nose cone off it should be self explanatory, and I've made it sound a lot more complicated than it really is. Just get a manual and take your time.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I've haven't had that metal plate on my blinkers for years. I just push the rubber stalk back into the hole in the fairing and leave it that. They work just fine and dont fall out even without the backing plate. YYMV though.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've had mine on and off without removing the nose cone. Side fairing off and it's possible to get access but a fiddle.
Or you can get access from above with a better view by removing the tank cover, black infil piece and ram air duct.

Actually you will probably need to unplug it to get the metal bits off and relocated back on the inside. So you will have to get access from above. Still leave the nose cone on though. Don't know why that would have to come off.

·
Banned
5,436 Posts
Remove those signlas and throw them in the trash.

Or use them for target practice.

Or use them to practice your swing at the batting cage.

Or use them on practice your swing in golf.

A.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after weighing all the good options, I made a stop by the dealership to see how many $ it would set me back to let them deal with it. I've had good experiences with them in the past so it was worth a try. They said stop by the next time I'm out on the bike and they'll knock it out if a few minutes while I wait...

So yesterday I took them up on their offer. Thirty minutes later I was rolling - at no charge!! I was spared all of the other Tim Tool-man Taylor type of collateral damage I usually create when I start on a mechanical project and I'm back on the street.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
yeah but you learned nothing and your still scared of working on it.time to sell.if you can`t do most of your wrenching yourself you should`nt own a bike.your life depends on it.........

·
Registered
454 Posts
remember one thing and never forget it about your bike. it may take time to do it and do it right but do it wrong and time is not all its gonna cost you. few hours of time is always better than quite a few dollars out the bread box

·
Registered
114 Posts
So yesterday I took them up on their offer. Thirty minutes later I was rolling - at no charge!! I was spared all of the other Tim Tool-man Taylor type of collateral damage I usually create when I start on a mechanical project and I'm back on the street.
Last time I took my bike to the shop, they burned a hole in my oil cooler hose by not mounting it in the brackets, cracked a ram air cover, broke my starter cable... didn't even tell me about it! First I knew something was wrong with the hose was when I was hearing coolant turning to steam on the header pipes when I was stopped at the lights.

Oh and they charged me for work that I asked for, but they didn't do it, and wouldn't fess up.

You're right they're quick but in my experience they can be nowhere near as careful, and they don't necessarily know what they are doing either. Glad it worked out for you though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
re help remounting or changing side/front marker indicator light

:puzzled:
Ok guys, Having the task of replacing my zx's front indicators for some snazzy led ones i searched the web and found this page.
Great I thought, looks a lot of trouble for a seemingly small job.
So i started following advise taking off the tank cover route... hmmmm i still cant see the indicators!
next i started to take off the fairing... advise route 2....

STOP!!!!!!!!!

Heres the easy way:::::::::

Remove the 2 parts plastic radiator cover which is part of the lower front fairing.
One screw ( snap in,so lever out if spinning) at the bottom in the middle where it splits into 2 pieces and one each side halfway up at the front.

Next unclip the cover and pull down to release the top bit to reveal..... THE INDICATORS!..
Yes its that easy!
Time to remove approx 15 mins.
5 to think about it, 5 to get in position, 3 to undo the clips with screwdriver and small lever and 2 to pull the cover away. Total 15. :clap: 5 mins total for seasoned heroes.

To confirm:
DO NOT REMOVE seat, tank cover, ram air ducts, or fairing.
DO REMOVE the 3 screws and the covers!

Hope this helps guys!
Great forum BTW.
Dave (noobie here)
ZX12rA1

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I coulda told ya that...:evil: That's EXACTLY how I did mine...:thumbup:

Just remove the inner and wallah...there they be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks dave zx12r! I had started taking screws and bolts from everywhere and just read this post.Why did others take off seats and tank cover!:headscratch:

·
Registered
747 Posts
should look into getting either cregg's custom flushmounts or photon flushmounts
i use the cregg's myself and love them ,flushmounts just give the 12r a much cleaner look
and for my tail signals are built into my undertail
just a simple mod to do to really dress up the 12r IMO :thumbup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have after markets on my FZ1 and although there are better ones I am sure my wife say's she cannot see them in the bright sunlight when they are blinking. I have the stock ones on my 12 and you can see them during a super nova! Also If you have the stock signals and stock rear fender setup you can reverse a couple of parts on the signal stalk and they are about an inch narrower. Found that nugget of info on here and it works perfect and they do look better in more but still look stock if that's your thing.
Wife rides a Ninja 500 and she dumped it once and knocked off the front blinker. They are the same as our 12s and what a pain in the ass to get it back together. I know some people do leave off that metal tab with good results. If you do dump it with the tab removed it just might save your fairing from a crack.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts