Kawasaki World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My ZX12R is having an issue with the speed gauge. The needle sticks from time to time, now even more frequently.

What I am asking is:
1. Are the gauge clusters the same for 2000 to 2006 or is there some differences? My bike is a model 2000. A guess, the gauge cluster electric circuit board might have a crack or some issue in the soldering..
2. I will check the wiring. I thought at first it was an issue with the ground wire. I moved the speedo sensor ground wire from the bolt under/behind the front sprocket cover up to the frame to another ground. I hope I am not mistaken about that wire being the speedo sensor ground wire? Any way, that did not clear the issue. The needle keeps on getting stuck. The gauge works, but shows wrong readings. When I turn off the key, the needle does not return to the bottom of the gauge, or cycle through like it should, when I turn the key on. It seems, for some reason to get worse in warm weather and the bike engine running at higher temps. Did not have any/as many issues this spring or last fall when the weather was colder. Heat definitely makes the issue worse - Why, I do not know?
3. New speed sensor. Part # 21176-0046
4. Anything else that might help me sort this issue?

Thank you for any help!
/Tom

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Go for the A model clocks as I believe it reads the fuel and temperature values from the sender units differently.

Reactions: Mefirst

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update..
Found a new instrument cluster (Ebay). The issue with the old cluster was most likely a crack in the speed gauge electrical circuit. Now everything works...

Thanks again for the info...

/Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts