Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased a persimmon red ZX12R and have spent the past few weeks getting it how I want it, still got a long way to go, planning to turn it into a sort of semi drag spec street racer. Anyway...I have just fitted an LED tail light that I purchased off eBay, supposedly a direct replacement for the original, I fitted it and plugged it in and found that the brake light only works when the lights are off? As soon as I turn the lights on, the brake light stops working? I plugged the original tail light back in and all works as it should so is it just that the LED tail light that I bought it’s faulty? And help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers all.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You need a load resistor to go inline of the positive tail light wire. Anything you add that is LED, needs a resistor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I had a feeling somebody might mention resistors. Does it matter what resistor i use? I’ve found some on eBay that are 50W 6OHM, would they be okay? Also, do I need to worry about the resistor getting too hot?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think around a 6 ohm will work. Do a google search for zx12r led brake load resistor and you will see plenty of results. Oh and some will get hot, just be careful where you place it. I haven't had a problem with mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve done a search but can’t find anything specific, just the general load resistors that are on eBay. Did you have the same issue with your brake light as mine?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Everyone will have the same problem. With front and rear led signal lights as well. The system isn't designed for them. You will need to add those resistors, generic ones are fine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi all, I recently purchased a persimmon red ZX12R and have spent the past few weeks getting it how I want it, still got a long way to go, planning to turn it into a sort of semi drag spec street racer. Anyway...I have just fitted an LED tail light that I purchased off eBay, supposedly a direct replacement for the original, I fitted it and plugged it in and found that the brake light only works when the lights are off? As soon as I turn the lights on, the brake light stops working? I plugged the original tail light back in and all works as it should so is it just that the LED tail light that I bought it’s faulty? And help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers all.
Could be that the wiring on the aftermarket tail light is wrong. Like brake light on running light circuit. I have used many different aftermarket tail lights and 4 out of 5 need the 3 wire plug repinned. Use a small battery to test circuits and double check they are same function on OEM tail light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone will have the same problem. With front and rear led signal lights as well. The system isn't designed for them. You will need to add those resistors, generic ones are fine.
I have LED indicators fitted front and rear as well. I just installed an LED flasher relay to rectify the fast flash issue. Just the brake light issue that’s pissing me off at the moment. Thanks for the advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts