Kawasaki World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an Silver 01 ZX-12R. I'm rather new to the bike scene and this forum and hope to learn some tips and trick here. Please forgive me for stupid questions that I might ask in the future. I loooooovveeeeeee my bike BTW!!!!!!! :D :D Any advice for me and my bike????? General need to know things that I might need to know??? Thanks in advance!!! 8)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Cool! Another new member to keep things interesting!

Is your bike new? If not, what mods does it have? We can certainly tell you everything you need to know about modifications! Hope you got a fat wallet :wink:

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Welcome to the board. I doubt that 12 stays bone stock for long,
especially if you hang out here for awhile.

Nice time with the Lightning, 12.28 was not stock was it :wink:

My old 93 LX 5.0 would run 12.9x @ 105, but it needs a little work now,
she's starting to show her age and needs a little TLC.

I put more miles on the 12 in 4 months, than I did in my Mustang in 4 years :shock:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Welcome to the board Caka!!
Take good care if that Silver beauty and she'll take good care of you!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VinnieZX12R,
My bike is as my sig. says "bone stock". It's an 01 and had 610 miles on it when I bought it. I plan on keeping it stock for awhile because I need to get some drive time under my belt first. I havn't ridden a bike in years and I have never owned anything like the ZX-12R. Please be patient with me :)

mwrzx12,
My Lighting has bolt ons from JDM Engineering only and is a daily driver. It now has 50k miles and that was a big reason for me getting the bike. It is bound to let go (weak stock rods) sooner or later and I needed another means of transportation. The 12 fit the bill :D When or if the truck blows or when I pay it off it will get a built motor and more boost.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Cool Caka, Lightnings are awesome, especially the new ones.
The Cobras are rated at 390 hp, and they are probally closer to 440 :wink:
I saw where a 03 Cobra dyno'ed at the rear tires right at 380 hp :shock:

We have a friend close by who has an 03 Lightning and a Z06 Vette,
must be nice :twisted:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Sorry, wasn't paying attention!

Here's a few suggestions for mods w/ approx. prices...

Helibars - $150, will help a lot with sore shoulders/wrists

Corbin seat - $200, will help w/ sore butt, but if you've got a short inseam, you'll definitely be "on your toes".

17t front sprocket - $20-$50. Big help in slow speed ridability and a nice boost in low end grunt. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

yellow box - $100, to go w/ 17t sprocket to recalibrate speedo.

aftermarket exhaust - $200 - $1000, depending on what you want for sound, fit/finish, and added horsepower. Plenty of opinions on this.

PCIIIR or Yosh box - $300+, to go with FULL aftermarket exaust for remapping exhaust.

Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen - $70, for improved looks and a little better wind protection.

There are several more. Since you've got the 01, you've got a lot of experience on this board!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
LOL! When I saw your first post, I somehow made the connection of your '99 lightning to a Buell! That's a pretty good time for a truck, BTW!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome Caka :p :D :lol: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome aboard Caka, the 12 would make your lightning feel like it is in reverse !

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Welcome to the board. You have come to the right place for your 12.

I think the best bang for the buck is an aftermarket exhaust.
I personally believe the Stepped Hindle and Akrapovic are the top contenders for power and maintained reliability.

The PCIIIR can really smooth out the on/off response with a few mapping tricks that can make it feel like a new machine.

Have tons of fun and remember, there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Welcome to the world....

I see you have good taste because you picked the Best looking and the fastest of the ZX12 family....

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Welcome!

As you probanly noticed by now, you 12 is a teency bit sluggish... :shock:
you can get ALL the advice you need, to crisp her up, right here!!! :lol:
ENJOY your new toy...

PS: GREEN IS FASTER!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts