Kawasaki World banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this exhaust from a guy. I was told its a Race Hindle with Titanium can for a ZX-12. My problem is, when I went to mount it the exhaust flanges on the header, they were to large to seat inside the exahaust ports. I called buyer and he asked me to send him one back so he could check it. I did and he also found same problem. He then had another set sent of flanges sent to him,...they arrived and he sent the box directly to me. I get the new flanges and to my dismay Brock/Hindle sent a sent EXACTLY like the ones I have that don't fit. So my question is,...do I find someone to machine these flanges down,...or try Brock/Hindle myself for the correct ones?,.....If I choose to machine them down,....how can I get the measurments to know how much to have machined of without tearing the bike bike down?,.....
ANY AND ALL HELP OR ADIVCE IS WELCOME.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
not quite understanding,, are you refering to the actuall flanges that the bolts go thru or the flared ends (4 of them) that seat inside the exhaust port area and rest up against the o ring gaskets,, if it is the bolt flanges how would you plan on getting them off? are you sure this is a 12 pipe because all years should fit so something isnt jiving?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have the same exhaust its a tight fit. i measured the outside of the pipe where it fits in the head with a digital caliper and got 47.72-48.00mm measure yours and see what you got.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Those look the same as the ones I got from Brocks for my race Hindle. I haven't put them on the bike yet, so it looks like I need to test fit on my spare head first....

ok, I just went out and tried the flanges on the spare head. Tight fit but they slide in. I imagine with them on the header first it will be a bitch. But easier than wiggling the head pipes over the tubes with them on the head.

The instructions on the Hindle site say use hi-temp silicone and no gaskets... which I found out AFTER I installed the street system on the bike using stock gaskets and got exhaust leaks.. just an FYI

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
take the spigots off of the pipe. (held on by the springs) try to mount one spigot at a time, then slide the pipe on and put the springs back on. its 10x easier, you shouldnt have to file anything

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I have always used my Gaskets and I use the High Temp silicone on the fittings because when cured, it makes it a lot easier to remove everything!

That for sure is a Step Tubed Race Hindle for a ZX12R and it is a Later Version because the earlier were all welded including the 2-1 section. The way to tell if it is a Brock / Hindle or Hindle, is to look into the 1 section at the Divider Plate where the 2 becomes 1. If the Divider Plate is long and right up to the Opening, It is a Brock. If the Divider Plate is missing and almost non existent, then you have a Pure Hindle. The Brocks Make more Bottom end and Midrange and the Hindle make more Peak Power. Also the Inlet AND outlet of a Brock Muffler is 2.25 inches. The Hindle has a 2.25 Inlet and a 2.0 Outlet.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use the High Temp silicone on the fittings because when cured, it makes it a lot easier to remove everything!
Can I use the high temp silicone where the midpipe connects to the can?
I have an adapter with a O2 sensor connecting the tiforce titanium midpipe to akra can, and I'm getting false readings at low rpms, I think i have a leak there. I'm wondering if that would seal it.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
silicone and widebands dont really get along, run it hard with the plug in the bung for awhile to burn off any excess goop before putting the O2 back in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hindle exhaust cont.,.......

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried taking the flanges off the exhaust and mounting them but the lip on the flange is just too large. The bolt pattern is okay but the flared lip is stopping the flange from seating. I tried to get a couple of different angles so you could see what I was talking about. The flange lip actually hits the part where the bolt comes out of the head.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
it should go if you put it on straighter. at that angle it wont go, mine were pretty tight and i had to have them very straight, then wiggle up and down, not side to side like you are showing.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Mine are very snug in the holes and have to be put in "just so". Can't go in at an angle like you have, have to go in flat and straight.

Do you have a caliper you can measure the ID and OD of the flange and head?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had it on this way to show how much of a overhang there was. I tried putting them straight on and its just too big

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And this exhaust does have the divider inside it, but it does not come all the way up to the opening. Thanks Vince!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts