Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike for a ride today, and it ran like total crap. It was a surging bucking unridable mess! It would hardly even idle. Almost every red light I pulled up to, the RPM's would drop, and the bike would stall. trying to restart was a lot of trouble, the bike would crank and crank, before it sputtered back to life, sometimes backfiring when it did start. Also, I could smell a bit os gas in the exhaust once it did start.

A few weeks ago, I did a few mods to my bike in an attempt to make it a bit more rideable. I did the Kleen Air bypass, and my version of the Workman pilot jet mod. I couldn't seem to find anyone who could order a Mikuni 12.5 pilot jet, so instead I used a .025 welding tip. Everything seemed fine. I also installed new plugs, and check the valve clearance.

Once warmed up, the bike ran great, no surging in the idle, and the 2500 RPM flat spot was just about gone. I really began to like riding the bike around town.

About 2 weeks ago, I installed a set of BMC race filters, and noticed that the idle surge had returned a little bit, and figured I would have to mess around with the PCIIIr map a bit to "tune" it out. Other than the surge, the bike ran great.

Now, last night I installed my new Dussault undertail. Although it would seem unrelated, it is the last change I have made to the bike. Part of the installation required moving the computer into the "glove" box. With the computer in the new location, I mounted the PCIIIr on top of the computer. Is it possible that having the two computers located so close together, that there is some sort of RF problem? Could that be why the bike now runs like crap? I did reinstall the map I have been running, with no success in helping the bike run better.

By the way, the bike has a Fully muzzy system as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
HAve you tried running it without the pc3r?
I think that would be a definite answer, from what I have read about some of the others going bad you are experiencing the same thing, but running with out should tell you for sure.

·
Registered
25,299 Posts
Any chance the wiring you moved in the glove box isn't connected well?? "Captain Obvious" reporting, sir!! Just thinkin' that's the most suspicious thing you mentioned... to me anyway... :roll:

Chances of your PCIIIr sh*ttin' the bed just after you moved the electronic boxes & connections... pretty remote... Just my $.02!

Hope you find it!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I half checked the connections after I got home this evening. I did make sure that the plugs to the computer "clicked" when I attached them them. The bike did not throw any DFI codes, I imagine it would if the plug were loose. I plan on looking a bit deeper into the the connections and such tomorrow.

Tony

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I know of two instances with your symptoms:

1) A corrupt map (I think you ruled that out). Look at the map through the software, you will see like"*&@?%" type symbols in some of the columns where you should see numbers.

2) The PC3R wiring harness fried.

Disconnect the PC3R and if the bike runs good, you've found your culprit.

BE WARNED: Several guys here have had the PC3R go bad. One to the point where it dumped so much gas in a cylinder that it hydro locked and blew a head gasket.

Your problem sounds all too familar. :cry:

I no longer run a PC3r.

If this has happened to you, its imperative that you change the filter and oil as the oil will be gas saturated.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, it seemed like it was running rich. Although I could see no carbon smoke, I reaked of exhaust after running the bike in the garage for just a few minutes. The smell was so bad I had to shower to get rid of the oder..even my girlfriend could smell it on me!

Tony

·
Registered
147 Posts
BE WARNED: Several guys here have had the PC3R go bad. One to the point where it dumped so much gas in a cylinder that it hydro locked and blew a head gasket.
Jesus Blitz that scares me. Hopefully PC's quality control is better.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Exactly what Blitz said. Take it off. If you want to hear more about power commanders contact Dave Galbiati. He'll fill you in. My bike runs beautiful with an Akrapovic and nitrous. Never had a power commander and never will.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
If you have an early model PC3R, the unit could be bad. Disconnect it and see if the bike is ok. If that cures it, then send me an e-mail and I will tell you what to do to get a new unit!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I disconnected the power commander, and the bike still runs like crap. :evil: I will have to look over all of the wiring I made contact with when I moved the ECM and see if something else is messed up.

Tony

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
just a little clarification ...

My bike was the one that when the PC failed it hydro'ed ( hung the injectors wide open ) filling the cylinders with fuel. With no place for all the excess fuel to go the fuel was pushed out around the headers
making a huge mess. There was so much fliud and smoke we could not tell what the problem was.
My initial observation was blown head gasket, but it turned out not to be.

Powercommander claimed pinched wires, said whomever installed
the PC let the wires get pinched ...

I called BS cuz I installed it, and there was no pinched wires :evil:

I sent it back and they promptly apologized and gave me a new PC111R.

No problems since then.

But the problems you are describing is very similar to what mine did,
although from the time mine failed, the bike started running rough,
a huge trail of smoke, and I pulled over was approx 400-500 ft .....

Even after disconnecting the PC it took a few minutes to get all the excess fuel burned up ....

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The New PC3r and heavier wires and they Dynojet have learned something from you, they do not know it all! and are paying a price for that attitude also! I sent mail about this and I hope that the PC is the problem!

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Mark, I remembered yours - but I'm pretty sure we had somebody that actually had a head gasket go due to the problem.

I remember them saying that Kawasaki replaced the head gasket under warranty, very reluctantly... I don't remember if it was a short term member here or what, though...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Dynojet is sending me a brand new and "improved" PC3R...I just sent back my old one as it did the same thing.....flooded so bad at some stop lights that a cone of fuel sprayed out my Muzzy !!!

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Seems I remember that too Blitz ....

Service manager said a few more seconds and I would have definately blown a gasket or worse. Too much fuel an no where for it to go :shock:

It was a sad sight the PMB in a cloud of smoke ....

And you now what ....

That happened the very first time I ever rode with Roy :?

Maybe he really is a bad seed :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Follow up

Well, the Power Commander was not the culprit, it was the BMC race filter I had installed a few weeks earlier. I found a different PC3R map online, made a few tweeks, and now the bike runs great!!

Thanks for all of the help!! :D

Tony

1 - 20 of 23 Posts