Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm very new to the forum as well as motorcycles in general! But anyways. My dad needed help cleaning out the garage. There were lots and lots of boxes... And to my discovery, underneath all the mess, trash, and boxes, I found this! A 1990 Kawasaki ZX-7 H2. My dad never told me he had one until now. So here's the story. He bought it in 1990, put 3,200 miles within 3 years, never fully paid for it meaning there is no pink slip and never rode it again. So being a good son, he said I could have it if I could find a way to register it. That's where I need help. Do I lien sale it? How do I go about registering this thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
was it ever registered in his name? if so you can just go to the licensing office with your dad (i.D. in hand) and tell them you lost the ownership….if, on the other hand it is registered to someone else, that person still technically owns the bike

I live in Canada,Laws may be a little different from here to there

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
First go to DMV, explain the same story here to the clerk. Clerk hears that, tumbles a bunch of papers at you, says to fill in the blanks. S/he might say to take the bike to a CHP station, so you make an appointment with the station near you. If you write down the 17 numbers/letters at the neck of the frame, show the clerk that number to run it in the computer. If she says to go to a CHP with all the paperwork is to begin the 'transfer shuffle.' Another one is forgo the DMV, go right to the CHP with the frame number and ask to run it, you want to make sure it's not hot, you are looking to buy a sitter.

They are going to run the numbers to see if it's 'hot?' There might be 2 scenarios about to go down.

1. The OO (original owner) might have filed a stolen report, or his only out was this 'non-payment' issue, so this is the red flag, you hand the bike over so the CHP returns the bike to the papered owner.

2. The OO more or less abandoned the bike, took no issue with a theft report, the numbers come back to the OO is what the CHP will see. You already have papers saying transfer of ownership from the DMV say. Since dad bought it in the paper [say], you have no clue the owner's name after so many years? So chippy writes down the OO's address/name and all that, you have your side filled in. You can play this game a few ways, like call a CHP station, see if someone will run the numbers over the phone before you start running around? If they come back saying it's hot... Hand it over begins a few scenarios.

At DMV, you already explained your dad 'lost the title.' The less complicated the story, you just explain it being parked for 13 years. You never asked if dad rode it for 3 years. There are people in back of you. Make the info short. Just say, "My dad parked the bike, fed my mouth, not the tank for 13 years of sitting, he never transferred title to his name, he lost the title, what papers do I need."

We are at the CHP station. A bike sitting for 13 years is going to look dusty and all that. Do not clean it, tear it down, etc. This is a sitter so you want to present this bike as one to the CHP. The more your story is fact, so will the bike's presentation bleed the truth. Leave it alone in other words. Technically it's not your bike. Why put any time into it if she is back to the OO is why the CHP is going to run the numbers. So when you do go to present it, it has to have all the crap on it, or you'll be sent back to make it more complete for the street. So you do want to have it looking streetable with head/tail/winkers, or it's a trip back. Ask me how I know?

It's that ea$y, or a penalty will be assessed after 13 years. They want their tax, so you have to show how much you paid for it back then. They like reaching into your pocket, so it might be just a change of title transfer, a non-op assessment and you are on your way to CHP to finalize it's all there for the street and the numbers are not tapered with, etc.

If dad drained the bowls dry before he parked it, a new battery and fresh gas will start it. If not, here comes the bucks to clean the carbs if you can't. And vinegar is your buddy for rust removal, carbon on valves, and gummy gas in the carbs: if you make the attempt to get it running [in your name] that is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thats hard to sell becuse of the oldiness and un licenced motor, for more worst sometimes they say that you stole it even though it is your father motor.. you nedd a lot of explanation my friend.. i hope it help.. :))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts