Kawasaki World banner

How Far Did You Slide?

25K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  tregan6492 
#1 ·
I have gone down at 60 or 65 miles an hour 3 times now. Once on gravel and twice on blacktop. I measured the distance of the slide each time and weather blacktop or gravel came up with 300 to 350 feet. Just wondering how far others have slide at a given speed?
Does anybody know of a chart or some mathmatical equasion to take speed and determine your slide distance?
Like 30mph = 30 foot slide
60 mph = 275-325 feet
90 mph = ?
120 mph = ?
150 mph = ?
180 mph = ?
210 mph =?

Can sombody help me fill in the blanks
I thought this might help us all keep our speed in perspective.

#4 ·
May 1995, turn 1 at Race City Speedway Amatuer Superbike racce at the end of a one kilometre straight, low sided at about 155 mph(approx) and knocked myself out. That was a good thing as I broke my left collar bone in two places, three broken ribs on the left side, too many abrasions to count and worst of all, destroyed my leathers, boots gloves and helmet. Distance, well I have no idea but at that speed you know it's gonna hurt. :cry: :cry: :cry:

#5 ·
I know that when I hit the curb at 40-50mph and went over the handlebars
I slid for what seemed forever ( 2-3miles ) no but really I was in wet grass and didn't stop till I hit the brick wall..... well you know the rest...

Steve

:roll:

#6 ·
well, I slid saturday

racing a busa:(

I'm sure you all will be upset hearing that!

I was right behind him just about to take him
and wam o' my rear tire broke loose and there I went
lucky for I sild in the grass field and the turn

any I did about 500 damage to my red 2002 zx12
:cry:

#10 ·
usedtobeTainui - F*ckin' Ouch!!! :shock:

I always have hated that couple of seconds before anything hurts, and your mind is telling your body "This is really gonna hurt".

That brief moment is usually followed by the quick flashing of asphalt / sky / asphalt / sky / asphalt / etc. THAT SUX!

#14 ·
Thanks guy - accident was over two years ago. 2 months for the burns to be totally healed and about 6 months before I was walking without crutches. No sweat. LOL

Go 200 -- funny you are dead on....front tire cxame down...heavy tank slap began...and I was way up in the air...looking at the headlight.....I thought, " Ok, so this is what it feels like to wreck a bike"...lol I never thought I would stop.

Long time ago and I always wear my gear now - and the 4th gear wheelies are nice to look at...but you won't see me doing them anymore.

#20 ·
60 mph.

50 or so feet slide.

Cactus patch stopped me. It was not fun. Took 2 hours for gixxedu's old lady to pull the cactus needles out of my ass, arms, neck and left thigh.

Was NOT an enjoyable experience. :shock:

Why did you post this? Are you a masochist???? :cry:

#21 ·
60~70 mph turn the bike hit gravel was upright but sliding till it hit the curb threw me way up in the air. Observers said about 15~20ft. Landed on my feet. Bt the bike went all the way to the runway. Me and my buddies were able to get it out of there before SPs and Tower noticed.
Sliding been pretty Lucky, normally start sliding maybe 5 feet then all of a sudden I am up and running. Must be an instinctal thing from all the crashes when I was younger and street skiing behind a truck.

#22 ·
blitzkrieg said:
Why did you post this? Are you a masochist???? :cry:
I posted this because I always went back and measured how far I slid and was always amazed at the distance and the shape I was still in. I wanted to know what the normal distance was. I also thought that if someone could come up with some kind of constant to show how far a person would slide from a given speed maybe people on this board would respect the speed of the twelve a bit more. Maybe save sombody a bit of road rash. You know, make us think a bit more, as in being a bit more educated, smat, knowledgable about what will happen in a high speed crash. I know what it feels like and what the results are of a 60mph crash if you don't hit anything. I am a three time winner at that. I don't know what 100 or say 175 mph. would do to a person. I would like to know before and when I am taking the risk and cranking that throttle up. I don't think if you double your speed your slide distance doubles. I think if you double your speed your slide distance more than doubles, but I don't know by how much. That is what I was wanting to know.
I appreciate all the posts but was, along with these coments, wanting sombody who knows about these things to give us a number that we could use to determine the average slide distance at a given speed by multiplying the speed by said uknown number to come up with the average distance.
I don't think I am sick or anything. Just wanted to know what I was up against so I can respect my speed apropriatly.

#24 ·
If that s what you are looking for then, it would definetel be compltel different for the rider and type of clothing they had on.
If somebody knows the coeffcient of friction for [leather or skin] and asphlat (I willl try and look some of them up) Then it would be a freshmen kinematics problem.
Searching

#26 ·
uk I have solved based on an average speed of 60 mph = 300ft slide.
Then using this information I came up with the following simple formula for everone to use. I have posted results for a few. Remeber thought this depends on what you were wearing I am pretty sure leather (that most of the motorcyclist wear) will slide farther than skin (i.ie. jeans t-shirts etc)
Meaning you will lose more skin to microkinematics to slow down than leather will.
[(Vi)^2]/(26.2752ft/ss)=distance you will slide (for ease I made the calc = feet slid those of you metric divide by 8m/ss)
using feet/ss you must convert miles per hour to feet per second
using km/hour convert to m/s (this is easy for you metric guys)
Data due to some rounding is ever so slightly off.
10 mph = 8 ft
30 mph = 73 ft (some of you must be standing up early)
60 mph or 97km/hr = 295 ft or 90 meters
90 mph or 145 km/hr = 663 ft or 202 meters
120 mph = 1178 ft or 360 meters (I think most people are hitting other things to stop the slide at these speeds plus we are negleting air friction which would definitely shrink some of these numbers, calc for air friction if requestedd will have to wait till i wake up if anyone is really interested)
200 mph or 322km/hr = 3274 ft or 998m (almost a km! neglecting air friction)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.