Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you take your time I dont see why you could not do it yourself, its not rocket science... Only thing is, though this needs confirmation, that there are some differences between the models and the engine casings. I read in some older forum post and if my memory serves me correct, that the crankshafts are different between the A and B models and this makes the engine casings different... That said, you do need to wait for someone who really knows to post in this thread if you cant find the answer to this yourself... Other than that, it should not be a problem...

/Tom >:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hard question to answer as we don't know your mechanical ability. It isn't something an amateur should attempt. You are speaking of a complete teardown and re-build essentially. Everything has to come out and go back together exactly like it came out. Every bearing needs to go back in the exact same place etc.

Can you do it? Sure, but you would need to take your time and take pictures, etc. If you are unfamiliar with engines, I wouldn't recommend it. Time wise, Yea, it's going to take a while. Especially if you have never done it, it will be a daunting task.

The 2000-2001 were different. 2002-2006 should all be the same.

·
Registered
327 Posts
There are differences between models, but only slight differences. The B models have larger oil sight glasses, larger oil pump and oil tubes. I also believe they require B model oil pan. As long as you have a matching set of cases and the oil parts for a B model all other parts from your A model will work.
As far as how hard and how long it will take, that answer is entirely based on your skills. If you take your time, pay attention to details and have a repair manual with correct tools you can accomplish it. I would recommend finding a local reputable shop to do the work if you have any doubts at all.

·
Registered
267 Posts
OP~ Did you throw your chain?

You can do this.

You may need a bearing press to set your bearings into the cases tho. (Don't use a hammer!)

And yes, take LOTS of pics just prior to teardown, and also during teardown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts