Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of looking at those ugly Frankenstein bolts and I didn't want to order parts to replace them. Yes, I agree that the bolts that hold the helmet cable locking system (there are only 2 and you need 4) work and look great but I wanted to 'mess' around and try something else. So here is what I did.

Replacing Frankenstein Bolts

Note Typo: I paid less than $7 not $12

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I agree the Franky Bolts gotta go. They look hideous.

Yours look good.

For reference, the KAW Franky replacement bolts are part # 92151-1880 - Bolt,Socket,6X.

$4 a piece from ww.ronayers.com if anyone wishes to go that way.

G

·
0 Posts
I wish they would at least come out with somthing useful that clips on and off them easily, like a rack or type of bag.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Cost me $40nz to do this, real Kawasaki bolts ya know! 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Besides hardware stores, boat supply places have a lot SS nuts & bolts. If I had to order a part... I would just go to Ron Ayers and get the Kawi part.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Ron Ayers has them in stock, or can get them in 3 days.

I recommend you order some oil filters while you're at it. There is a minimal $7 shipping charge, which is a waste for 4 little bolts.

Order the filters and the bolts and you'll save money because they'll all ship for the $7. The filters are like $7.49 an Rons, vs. $12 at most dealers (for the 1070 series...) Make sure to order drain plug washers too.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I ran into the same problem Voz had, no go for much in the way in SS metric 'round these parts. I settled for stainless finish washers and blue steel bolts for now, doesn't look bad but 2nd rate for sure compared to the bright stainless. I found this place on the web, you can order piece by piece, they will hand polish them if you desire ( at a cost, of course). I'm thinking about going around the bike and placing a order with them. Here's the webiste...

http://www.southcoastspecialties.com/

Scott W.

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
:( got all my stainless stuff.... BUT i can not take off the back right frankenstien bolt... it just spins ans spins no matter which way i go...left right...what the hell should i do....what is holding it...dont wanna take the whole tail off... and it seems to be a solid bar..... :(

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Well, you got one of three things going on:

1) Its stripped.
2) The backing nut welds broke
3) You haven't pulled the bolt through the rubber bushing

Lets hope its #3 because 1 & 2 aren't so much fun to fix.

But like I said....

"Oh shit"... Probably #2

1 - 20 of 25 Posts