Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery really low and wont turn the motor over fast enough to start.

I has a friend push the bike and tried starting it in 1st but no luck, the engine does not even cough up.

So how do I push start this thing?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Same with any big engine bike - Your going to need a bit of weight over the back wheel to stop it locking when you drop the clutch.

If your a bit of a short arse, don't weigh that much and not that confident then DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD as it can go very wrong if you get it wrong!!
So if you drop your bike or throw it in to a car doing this don't say I didn't warn you or say its my fault!

Ignition on.
Put the bike in first gear
Hold the clutch in
I normally stand to the left side of my bike.
Push the bike and increase speed to a fast jog.
Once up to speed jump on the bike - Timing is crucial - As your arse hits the seat this is when you should hit the starter button and drop the clutch.
The bike should fire up, as soon as it does pull the clutch in as the bike will want to go!

This technique uses momentum of the bike plus weight of rider to stop the back wheel locking. The weight of the rider should stop the wheel from locking when the ignition button is pushed and the clutch is dropped - The extra bit of weigh is added as the rider jumps on the bike and drops his ass in to the seat -I.E momentum, ignition, clutch, ass in seat all at the same time

If your not sure then charge the bike and start when the battery is charged

Don't drop your bike!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
1 variable says a computer bikes need over 12v to keep 5v alive in the ECU. Do the math. Anything under 12v, the ECU won't work with 4v at the ECU = No start.

·
Registered
571 Posts
1 variable says a computer bikes need over 12v to keep 5v alive in the ECU. Do the math. Anything under 12v, the ECU won't work with 4v at the ECU = No start.
if it's that dead, you're right, pushing it wont help. just jump it & be done.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
To bump start anything, you want to use a high gear...try 2nd or even third. You can get it up in gears by rocking the rear wheel on a stand or rolling it and clicking it up. It won't go to third without the wheel moving. Like hubz said, on a computer controlled bike, you need enough voltage to get that ECM thinking and enough juice for those initial sparks and fuel pulses until it's running and the stator can take over. It's not like the old school shit...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
They got this new thing out.It`s called a battery charger.Read up about it.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
To bump start anything, you want to use a high gear...try 2nd or even third... It's not like the old school shit...
I will never start a computer bike running along side of it. Inline-4's I find 3rd to be the compromise. You run a points/condenser bike it's every 360° is the points fire.

A computer bike moves some 8 crank spins before it fires. I had lights on the 14, no subs, sunk as per manual, and no cranking. I couldn't see the ground having corrosion on the battery post?

Had a counter guy come out of an auto store and help push. When I felt it almost fire, I told the guy thanks and called for a tow. The violence of that light off, my speed running before popping the clutch, it felt like if it did fire it be out in the street. It took off so fast and stopped I could not react fast enough [grabbing the clutch lever] like a points and carb bike.

If you ever adjusted an out of sync throttle body, felt the 2 different responses [when it's on the money], it would be better to sit on the bike and be pushed. Unless you are a track star and can keep up in 3rd gear at idle, can stop an arrow in mid air... Go for it.

:scared:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Make sure someone is filming the event. Personally, I would buy a charger or a new battery.
I recon you'll be on some YouTube compilation before you get it running.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yea. I don't think I would try and bump start the 12. I left the jump start cable on mine. I spose if I died by a nice long hill perhaps I would try it, but when that much power catches, yea, you don't want to rely on your reaction time I don't think. Old bikes it's just a quick release of the clutch and it catches and you grab it again. A new battery or a charger is the ideal way to go. I used to ride my 81 LTD 750 around town without a battery in it! Just roll it a bit, pop the clutch and off ya went....:lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I push started the beast 3-4 times last summer before I finally realized my fresh, couple weeks old battery had died. Couldn't believe it at all and went through all the electrics, stator, rectifier etc..

Anyways 2 times my friend helped to push and it did require some speed before it worked.

Last time I had to get it running by myself (was in a hurry to work) and I dragged it uphill, got as much speed as I could and at the bottom released the clutch.

Also the bike wont let go to second gear if there ain't some speed on it.

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
I push started the beast 3-4 times last summer before I finally realized my fresh, couple weeks old battery had died. Couldn't believe it at all and went through all the electrics, stator, rectifier etc..

Anyways 2 times my friend helped to push and it did require some speed before it worked.

Last time I had to get it running by myself (was in a hurry to work) and I dragged it uphill, got as much speed as I could and at the bottom released the clutch.

Also the bike wont let go to second gear if there ain't some speed on it.
Kawasakis have had what they call a positive neutral finder for many years now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i once bump started my old RD 400 ,ran along side it jumped on side saddle styl ,let the clutch go with bike in first gear ...well it started alright ,i fell off the back as the bike had started a rapid first gear wheelie ...proceeded across the road straight in to a van writing the van off ...funny enough since then i wont jump start any bike .....lol.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You can indeed walk the bike all the way to 6th gear on a stand. I've done it. All you need to do is click it to second first, roll the tire so the motor engages, and keep clicking as you rock the tranny into gear. I can't remember why the hell I did it, but it was so I could do something....and it's the easiest way to do said task. It had something to do with holding the shit in place and not destroy the rim with propping a bar in there on the swing arm. 6th gear makes it so you can hold the engine from turning. I just cant remember what I did...haha.

·
Registered
480 Posts

OMG !!!!!! Me and Hubs are agreeing on something or quite possibly this is the first post of his that I could understand what he was saying!!!!! LOL !!!!!!

That said he's 100% right and your best bet is to NOT push start the thing and buy yourself a new battery.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would have jumped it, but I to get access to the battery I will need to take so many things off!!

I also left the top bolt of the battery cover off the last time I was in there, and now I can remove the cover without removing anything, but still not enough room to slide the battery tray out or stick jumper cables in :(

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
I would have jumped it, but I to get access to the battery I will need to take so many things off!!

I also left the top bolt of the battery cover off the last time I was in there, and now I can remove the cover without removing anything, but still not enough room to slide the battery tray out or stick jumper cables in :(
Go back up and reread AFKAN's post. No need to take anything apart...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts