Kawasaki World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starter motor isn't working and I was going to try and replace the carbon brushes.

I've managed to pull the starter motor out and get it apart to look at the brushes and sure enough, they look like they are well past replacement time. Looks like you can get replacements off eBay fairly easy.

My question is how to actually replace them - one of the brushes looks easy since it looks to have a mechanical tab pressing it in place (the one attached to the little removeable plate). But the other brush looks much different - no mechanical tab, no solder, almost like it has been bonded/glued to the conductor - this is the one attached directly to the thick cable that connects to the battery pack.

Any ideas what the heck is going on with this and how you actually replace it?

TIA.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Reason I'm asking this is I'm now considering a lot of my current starting problems may be related to the starter motor instead of just the stator, which I just checked and seems fine.

I have inspected the starter motor previously as best I could, and cleaned it up. It did start better for a while. The bike will turn over quite well, just not fire up for a while. It will bump start if things get worse.

I need to exclude the starter motor as a possible culprit.

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Reason I'm asking this is I'm now considering a lot of my current starting problems may be related to the starter motor instead of just the stator, which I just checked and seems fine.

I have inspected the starter motor previously as best I could, and cleaned it up. It did start better for a while. The bike will turn over quite well, just not fire up for a while. It will bump start if things get worse.

I need to exclude the starter motor as a possible culprit.
Ping Yorkie, I think he had a post showing a starter rebuild

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'm sure he would too!

Just pulled the starter out, checked what I could with meter etc. at least as best as I can.
All seems to be in order. Just having fun at the moment getting it properly engaged back into position. Won't engage on the crank gear properly yet. No worries though, I want to do a proper full service again so will end up removing the coolant hoses blocking the way when I do a coolant change, then will have better access to mount the starter.
Will do full valve clearance check, starter relay check, re-check stator etc. etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts