Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a comprehensive guide (with pictures) on how to swap a ZX14 swingarm and ZX10 shock onto your ZX12R. Why bother swapping these you say? To start, the ZX14 swingarm is 3lbs lighter and the ZX10 shock is 2lbs lighter then stock ZX12 parts. So 5lbs of weight savings is nice. My next reason was that the ZX14 swingarm looks better as it is factory painted black. There might be some ride-ability benefits to the ZX10 shock, but I will report on that later.

Parts I used:
*swingarm from 2009 ZX14
*front swingarm pivot shaft from ZX14
*shock from 2009 ZX10
*shock to swingarm "rocker" from ZX10

Custom parts that had to be made:
*the ZX14 pivot shaft is a smaller diameter then the ZX12, so you'll need a custom bushing to center it on the left side of the frame
*You also need a custom threaded bushing on the right side of the frame
*you will need custom spacers to get proper clearance on the lowering links/dog bones

First, you need to disassemble....

Here is the custom pivot shaft bushings, thanks to ColorMeGone!

ZX12 swingarm on the right, ZX14 on the left...

Obviously, the spacer you see from the ZX12 swingarm won't fit into the ZX14 swingarm...

So you need to take the seal out of the ZX14 swingarm, and flip it upside down. The spacer then fits perfectly...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
this collar sits inside the frame and is what your custom threaded bushing above will thread into, but it the stock ZX12 form it is too thick. you need to shave off approx 2mm to get the ZX14 swingarm to fit into the frame.

ZX12 rocker on the right, ZX14 rocker on the left. Neither of which work. The ZX12 rocker is to thick where it bolts to the ZX10 shock.

to get the ZX10 shock to fit, you have to cut the inner plastic fender to clear the reservoir which sits opposite of the OEM ZX12 shock...

This pic shows the ZX14 rocker, which I later had to replace once I figured out it doesn't work with the lowering links...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to use spacers to get the lowering links/dog bones to properly line up between the swingarm and shock....

those spacers were custom made, again from ColorMeGone... thanks a bunch!!!

to utilize the spacers, you need longer bolts. I ordered some Grade 8 zinc plated 7/16"-14 x 5 1/4" bolts from McMasterCarr with matching lock nuts. I still have a couple left if anyone else wants to attempt this (had to order in pack of 5).

the bolt as it comes has a thick head, and is a super tight fit near the exhaust. again, back to the grinder. the bolt of the left is new, the one in the middle is my modified bolt, the one on the right is the OEM zx12 linkage bolt...

Even with the modified bolt, it's a tight fit. I had to remove the muffler/mid pipe to slide the bolt through the rocker...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.... and that's it! you now have a ZX14 swingarm and ZX10 shock on your ZX12R....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Up next... how to swap on wheels from a 2009 ZX10 onto your ZX12R that has a ZX14 swingarm. Even great weight savings and an awesome look!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to Warp12 for the hookup on the rims and OSR rear swap kit!!! more details to come, but here is a teaser.....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some details about my new rims/tires... I bought the rims from Warp12. The rear rim was bare but the front tire had a used BattleAx on it. Well I had bought a new set of tires all ready so wanted to put the matched pair on. So I had to remove the front tire, then mount/balance both the front and rear. I'm all about doing it yourself and saving money, so I started reading up online and watching videos. I decided to try the tire irons with orange juice bottle strips as rim protectors methods. Below are the videos I watched for instruction, and my experience went as smooth as it was in the video. I found someone who let me borrow their tire irons and wheel balancer. So I was able to get everything done for free (though I plan on spending the $60 to buy the gear so I can do it next time) Oh and the tires you ask, brand new Pirelli Diablo Supersport 120/70ZR17 and 180/55ZR17 I got for $209/shipped to my door.

This is how I broke the bead on the tire I needed dismounted...

This is how I dismounted the tire...

This is how I mounted the tires...

And we used a Harbor Freight balancer, but it went just like this...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I can understand changing out the swing arm but why not just replace the stock shock with an Ohlins unit with a remote reservoir? Then you don't need to modify the rocker or cut the underside fender out, seems much more simpler and you aren't going to like the ZX10 shock anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
Yeah quick question - to use a ZX12 shock with the ZX14 swingarm, you wouldn't need to modify anything or add spacers would you? Keep the ZX12 rocker/wishbones/bolts?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can understand changing out the swing arm but why not just replace the stock shock with an Ohlins unit with a remote reservoir? Then you don't need to modify the rocker or cut the underside fender out, seems much more simpler and you aren't going to like the ZX10 shock anyway.
Ohlins unit with remote reservoir sounds damn pricey to me! The ZX10 shock cost me $25 and it weighs less. The ZX10 rocker was only $22 on ebay, so all together I'm in it pretty cheap. Why do you think I won't like the ZX10 shock? The spring does seem to be "smaller" on it compared to the ZX12 shock, but I'm only a 170lb rider.... but please discuss, I'm all ears.

Yeah quick question - to use a ZX12 shock with the ZX14 swingarm, you wouldn't need to modify anything or add spacers would you? Keep the ZX12 rocker/wishbones/bolts?
Yes you could easily maintain the ZX12 shock and rocker. BUT you would still need to use the spacers. The ONLY difference between the ZX10 rocker and the ZX12 rocker was the width of the rocker where the shock bolted to it. The ZX12 rocker was a couple mm's to wide for the ZX10 shock to fit over it. They are the same width at the point of where the loweringlinks bolt up so you'll need to use the spacers regardless.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
Right - Makes sence now that I've looked at the pics again!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The 14 swingarm dog bone mount is centered on the swingarm. The 12 is off-set, thus the need for the dog bone spacers.
Zx10 shock is LIGHT YEARS better than the stocker. The 10 shock would be a excellent mod for stock 12s and especially if you sprung it for your weight and alittle extra for the added heft of a 12. Valving it would be awesome because 10 shocks have hi & low speed adjustment.
cmg

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Hibs for the air-time. Lol
Thanks guys for the interest...how many sets of custom collars might be needed?
cmg
oh no my friend, thank YOU! if it wasn't for you this thread wouldn't exist! good to see you reaching out your services to more ZX12 owners!

·
Registered
473 Posts
whats needed for the 10 rims on the stock 12 swing arm? is the front 10 rim fit the forks of the 12? im not into all the work of the 14 swing arm swap but love the looks of the 10 wheels.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts