Kawasaki World banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
whats needed for the 10 rims on the stock 12 swing arm? is the front 10 rim fit the forks of the 12? im not into all the work of the 14 swing arm swap but love the looks of the 10 wheels.
Rear requires a swap kit from Old School Racing. They advertise it for a ZX14, but other members report that a ZX12 rim bolts right onto a ZX14 so the swap kit should work identical. You need to use the ZX10 brake hanger and caliber. The ZX12 rear brake rotor will work. Their swap kit comes with 3 custom spacers and the proper wheel bearings. But I found out, the wheel bearings are identical as the OEM front wheel bearings on the ZX12 so not like its anything special.

For the front, 06+ zx10 rim bolts right up. i hear the 04-05 rims used a smaller axle. i would guess you can get them to work with the proper wheel bearing but i cant confirm. Youll need a ZX10 or ZX14 brake rotor. Ive been told ill need to shim my ZX12 caliber, but i havent got to the front yet... ill report shortly.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The Gen 2 14 wheelbase is listed as .8" over the Gen 1. And the Gen 1 has a bit longer arm than a 12R arm, as I recall measuring.
Shane was right.... the Gen 1 ZX14 arm is a tad longer then the ZX12R arm. I didn't notice this at first, as I had laid them next to each other side by side and they appeared to be the same. When I put it all together I was running 16/44 gearing (which lets the chain stretch out and the axle ride farther back). Then yesterday I went to put on my stock 18/46 gearing and it wouldn't fit!!!

The first thing I noticed, is that with the ZX10R brake bracket, it wasn't sliding all the way forward to allow full range of the axle....

In reference, here is my oem ZX12R brake bracket, slid all the way forward as it should be able to...

So, I used my sawzall and a file to make quick work of the brake bracket mount. It's aluminum, so it cuts easily....

I now have full range of movement with the axle. BUT.... I still wasn't able to fit stock 18/46 gearing. I am running a chain in stock setup (116 links). I then tried 17/46 gearing, still wouldn't fit. So then I went to 17/44 gearing to make the bike mobile again.

Looks like I'll have to add a link, maybe two, in order to run stock gearing. No big deal, new chain isn't that expensive. I am currently running the RK GB530XSO. Tensile strength of 9,500lb/ft. I'll probably buy the standard RK 530XSO this time. $12 cheaper then my current chain, only difference is it is not gold plated (that's what the GB stands for)....

RK 530 XSOZ1 X-Ring Chains - Indysuperbikes

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks like I had moved some of my photos around and the finished product photos was missing... so here they are again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an evil swinger from a zx14 (picked it up cheap because i knew i coule make it work) but instead of bearings, its bushings in the pivot. Have you had any experience with bushing type swingers and can I just snag these bushings from color me gone?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have an evil swinger from a zx14 (picked it up cheap because i knew i coule make it work) but instead of bearings, its bushings in the pivot. Have you had any experience with bushing type swingers and can I just snag these bushings from color me gone?
I have no personal experience with these, but, I assume they make the bushings to bolt on to a ZX14 pivot shaft. It would be crazy if they made you change anything else. So ya you should be able to buy the pieces from CMG and make it work!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks like I had moved some of my photos around and the finished product photos was missing... so here they are again...

Finally got a shorter rear brake line for my ZX14 swingarm / ZX10 brake swap. This came off a CBR, not sure what year/model, got it for free from a friend. Installed new ceramic pads while I was at it...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm not sure what's worse, too long or running that crazy bend in the hose!
I wondered about it.... but, so far in bleeding the brakes and checking operation in the garage, it works just fine. Was going to try on the road today but we're getting hammered with a spring snowstorm :-(

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
I'm not sure what's worse, too long or running that crazy bend in the hose!
Yeah, I would have thought a custom length braided line would have been the go..

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, I would have thought a custom length braided line would have been the go..
Maybe at some point. But spending $70 on a brake line isn't going to help the performance any of my setup, so it really isn't at the top of my list.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts