Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what happens to #3 connecting rod at 12,000 rpms at 100+ mph on a 13 year old zx12r with 58,600 miles, 250 1/4 mile runs at gateway raceway and at least 10,000 gear shifts at redline on the street. When it let go I was on the back tire a bit and had made the 2nd gear shift.My engine did have a slight knock when at idle for a couple of years.It was running like a raped ape like always when it KABOOMED. Hot oil and coolant blew all over my right pant leg..Did I say it was hot yet. I looked like a spitfire getting shot out of the sky with a smoke rooster tail.I miss this engine already and it`s only been 1 day....I am on the look out for a replacement engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
hole front and back on engine.That chunk of silver aluminum is the piston

Attachments

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
sounds like you got a gulp of air :(

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to keep it and ride it alot...I just got to find a good engine.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My engine did have a slight knock when at idle for a couple of years.It was running like a raped ape like always when it KABOOMED.
A friend drove his 12 for 300kms with all for valves pinned on 2nd cylinder piston,so you must be the record holder for running a 12 with a spinned rod for how long??

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 2001 block with #5 main bore 0.003" out of spec. If you are a modder you may want this block to bore it to take a special bearing. Otherwise the block is flawless.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry to see your motor go Boom Mark but it has sure lived a good life!! So much for A1 motors being a bit fragile - I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a motor that could live with that treatment for that long. Glad to hear you're rebuilding the beast. Good luck with the rebuild :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the good vibes guys.I know the carnage that is inside that poor mofo of an engine of mine.I can see the rest of the piston and con rod squeezing out the holes..........I have to wait till an low mileage engine pops up.But that means somebody crashed...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hope it works out for you mate! the bike had a good life of flat out racing and served you well !! there will be another motor for it as so many people want to part there bikes ?
Glad you want to keep it !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is what happens to #3 connecting rod at 12,000 rpms at 100+ mph on a 13 year old zx12r with 58,600 miles, 250 1/4 mile runs at gateway raceway and at least 10,000 gear shifts at redline on the street. When it let go I was on the back tire a bit and had made the 2nd gear shift.My engine did have a slight knock when at idle for a couple of years.It was running like a raped ape like always when it KABOOMED. Hot oil and coolant blew all over my right pant leg..Did I say it was hot yet. I looked like a spitfire getting shot out of the sky with a smoke rooster tail.I miss this engine already and it`s only been 1 day....I am on the look out for a replacement engine.
i have a complete motor except the top case. The motor mounts were broken on it. crank has no slop and cylinders are clean. trany still looks great. let me know. Oh yea its from a 2002

1 - 13 of 13 Posts