Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...So the buddy i sold my 12r to called me tonight and asked me to come over because he is taking a job out west and wanted to talk about my old 12r. I must admit when i went out to his garage and seen the old beast, i missed it. He wanted to know if i wanted to buy it back cheap. I asked if it was still running good and without answering he fired it up. Bottom end has a knock. He said he lent it out to one of his buddies for a weekend and it came back knocking. My response.." You fucking Idiot ".:banghead: He was going to get it fixed but figuires with his new job it will probally sit for awhile. Anyhow, i can get it back for $700. What do you guys think? How much just to get it back running again on the road?:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Offer him $500 and start looking for a motor. Or let Scott go nuts with it.:thumbup:
...Im already ahead of you al. I'm trying to get a hold of him to see if i can get it cheaper. lol. Regardless of whats wrong with the engine it would be a steal for $500 even if i had to sit on it for awhile until the parts god answered my prayers and gave me a block, pistons, bearings ect, ect.:thumbup:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Rings and bearings are cheap in the overall view. If the crank isn't damaged and you can perform the labor...

I'll bet it doesn't even need rings. Ring steel is hard and the cylinder coating is fucking hard. Gaskets, lower-end bearings and labor is probably all you're looking at save the one-time use components.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rings and bearings are cheap in the overall view. If the crank isn't damaged and you can perform the labor...

I'll bet it doesn't even need rings. Ring steel is hard and the cylinder coating is fucking hard. Gaskets, lower-end bearings and labor is probably all you're looking at save the one-time use components.
...I would not be doing the work. I would leave that to Kzscott. It may be possible thats all it needs is bearings. It would be nice however to install a fresh 1270 block and piston kit while its out.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The 1270 upgrade means you buy another cylinder bank or they bore and replate the one you already have?

I'm guessing pistons for the new bore diameter are ~$25 a piece.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
damn, that was working pretty well for an 1199 last time i saw it.
give me the guys number?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Fix that fucker fast.Do not start it again.It will go KABOOM and be a 200 pound paper weight. don`t ask me how I know............FIX THAT PUPPY.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...Buying it back today. Talked him down to $600.:thumbup:...The goal is to get it up to kzscotts soon so he can tear it down over the winter to see what the damage is. HOPEFULLY it just needs bearings. But it WOULD be such a shame to to rip that engine out and not do anything to it since the head is already done.:evil:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Forget my pm then. If the head is done a 1287 with the degreed cams would be a awsome street bike or race bike for that matter. If the bore is good you could just hone and go high comp stock bore and rev her.
What the hell is wrong with me? Im starting projects for other peoples bikes they dont own yet. Scott I blame you for this! Redsled.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good choice to buy it back.
Granted, newer bikes are nice but I have no regrets with the 12. If all it has is a slightly loose bearing then you can just drop the engine, split the case and leave the top end alone, kist service the bearings for about $100 and ride it again.

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
...Buying it back today. Talked him down to $600.:thumbup:...The goal is to get it up to kzscotts soon so he can tear it down over the winter to see what the damage is. HOPEFULLY it just needs bearings. But it WOULD be such a shame to to rip that engine out and not do anything to it since the head is already done.:evil:
Awesomeness!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Granted, newer bikes are nice but I have no regrets with the 12. If all it has is a slightly loose bearing then you can just drop the engine, split the case and leave the top end alone, kist service the bearings for about $100 and ride it again.
Yeah, that would be great. I built 2 decks on the outside of my place this year. I have been promising the girlfriend to re-do the kitchen over the winter but now i have my 12r back that i could put in a nice block and pistons.....Hmmmm...this is a hard decision?:rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...I found out from my buddy that the guy who was driving it came off the highway and was pulling away from a stop sign and was in traffic for a few minuits when it started to knock. Apperantly it was NOT overheating and he pulled over to the shoulder and shut it off, got it put in the back of a truck and brought back to my buddy. If this is true, perhaps all it needs is bearings. Anyhow, i will have it back in a few hours.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Paul, that is probably a pipe dream. More like a crank (or rewelded journal), rod, and if the piston slapped the head you are going to need work there, too. Like piston, chamber fix, and valves.

Not saying it is a bad deal, but get ready to spend some money....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paul, that is probably a pipe dream. More like a crank (or rewelded journal), rod, and if the piston slapped the head you are going to need work there, too. Like piston, chamber fix, and valves.

Not saying it is a bad deal, but get ready to spend some money....
...Worst case scenerio. I can hold on to it and have a great parts bike if down the road i pick up another a1.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts