Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has been feeling skittish to me around corners. Like it's been slipping which is disconcerting. I decided it take a look at my tires which appear to have 80% tread left and check the date codes. I purchased the bike from the original owner about 18 months ago and it probaby rode the bike 800 miles since then.

Any guesses? The Dunlop SportsMax tires are from 2008. Needless to say I placed my order with bike bandit earlier today for some Michelin pilot power 2 tires. I'll just say thank the Lord I did not wipe out on this beautiful motorcycle at some point.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Haha, mine have the EXACT same tires and date on them. I have ridden them all last summer and some of this year. I get that same feeling myself. I never ride very fast around the corners as I would croak of I was dumb enough to lose it and destroy my bike.

At any rate, yes, that's exactly why it feels squirrely around those corners. I will probably go with the Dunlop Q3 plus myself. Q4s are close to a track tire and would wear very fast. Let us know how you like the tires.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
While the rear wheel is out it might be a good time to spin and regrease all the rear suspension tie bar bearings.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you haven't considered it. Ride-On dynamically balances wheel/tires and also seals in the unfortunate event that you have a blow out. I had one at 60 mph on my cruiser. It safely got me to the side of the road. I only knew I had a blow out because of the loud pop sound followed by a short hiss, then silence.

After that I am on a personal mission to tell every biker I know. You can add this to your tire by removing the valve stem core squeezing in the recommended motorcycle formula amount (get the motorcycle formula, it is designed for high speed leaning unlike the ATV/Car formula).

It really does a much better job of balancing than weights (remove all weights). It also sticks to the tire, so there is no fear of it spilling when removing tires. It is water soluble and wont get on your rim.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I put brand new Q3's on my 12 when I started feeling that shifty crap going straight above 55mph. Bike has been.on stands for maybe 3 years now. Them Q3's didn't change that from happening. They have maybe 120 miles on them. Just broken in. But, the starter went out as well. Still ain't looked into that issue. Got the tractor now. I ride that.

I been thinkin that maybe them swing arm bushings are worn out. Either that or the frame cracked down there like some.others have. Best explanation for what it feels like it riding on concrete with them lines in it. That shift feelin ya get. Or maybe that rubber crap they fill cracks with. Similar. Only in the rear end tho, and only on the highway. It did have that feeling in corners sometimes too, now that I think about it. Most of the time was like butter. Every so often....a squirrly hair raising wiggle.

My 2 cents on that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tires arrived, boys. Waiting for my front axle socket to arrive so I can pull the front wheel.

Thanks for all the strong recommendations above.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Leave the pinch bolts tight on the big hex nut side and use that small hex on the axle side to loosen and remove the axle. Then you can get those wheels over to the shop to do the tires. You will be ready to go when the socket arrives. Just a thought.

cmg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts