Kawasaki World banner

I Got Clocked Doing.....

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Bigsaint 
#1 ·

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See less See more
#5 ·
Beating The Ticket

Did you have them check the radar gun's calibration records or something? I've heard of beating a ticket this way. If the calibration records aren't kept accurate then the ticket can be dismissed.

#6 ·
ok..ok.. ..no lawyer... went to court 3 times about 2 hours away from home and the cop never showed :!: :?: ...third time around the judge dismissed it!!... never knew why cop never showed?...but i was glad... :lol: ..that was in my squidly days.. we ran from cops but was running low on fuel..so had to stop for gas...3 towns later another officer pulled in to gas station and said we fit discription...took cop 40mins where it took us what seemed like only 10mins to get to?!! :roll:

#7 ·
Those trailer speed indicators kill me. The supervisors in my department had a brain storm this summer and rented one for a month, to place in areas with the most speeding complaints from citizens. Ours ( and most of them, by the way) didn't have a camera. I asked them if they thought this was really going to slow people down and their reply was a giant YES. Give me a break, if I knew where one was placed when I was younger ( or now when on the 12) I'd place a friend next to it with a camera and have them snap a shot of my speed. Could almost be a contest, with a few buddies. I was amazed that our rental unit wasn't vandalized, think they would at least mount a dummy camera on it to keep you guessing :shock: .

Scott W.

#9 ·
Voz, alot of time the traffic court appearance is scheduled for the cops day off. Some just choose to disregard the subpoena and spend the day away from the job. Bottom line is that most PD supervisors look at the number of MV summons issued, not those that are actually adjudicated and their outcome.

Here's a tip for those that get MV summons... at the very least, don't just mail in the prescribed amount without appearing in court. Most courts have full calendars and are very quick to down grade the summons to a lesser offense for a guilty plea. Ask to speak with the prosecutor and the officer involved. Unless you are issued for something out of the ordinary 10-20 mph over the limit, there's a good chance that you will receive a lesser fine/ driving points by simply appearing. You might get lucky, like Voz did, by having the summons dismissed for lack of prosection. This normally requires two non-appearances by the officer involved at a minimum.

If you decide to go to trial, just be prepared to pay the full bill if you are found guilty. Most trials are based on credibilty. Any seasoned officer is going to beat you hands down in a trial, if he/she can testify and has all the correct certifications if it's a speeding summons. That being said, there are many officers that don't do well on the stand and loose the case because of their lack of credibilty.

More info than you were probably looking for :)

Scott W.

#11 ·
Voz, yep, they are fairly accurate. Most if not all use a type of Doppler radar, similar to what we have in the cars. At least that's what the one we had used. Alot comes into play regarding accuracy and Police radar.. angle of the radar unit to your position, traffic flow, the weather, etc., can all play a small role in obtaining an accurate reading.

The radar units in the cars must be tested twice per tour, once at the begining of the shift at once at the end. We test the radar units by first doing and internal circuit check and then a light test, which is performed by depressing a toggle switch on the unit. We then test the unit with certified tuning forks while it's set on stationary mode and then on moving mode. The forks are set up to provide a reading of 35 and 80 MPH respectively while set on stationary mode. To check the moving mode, we strike both tuning forks at the same time and place both in front of the radar antenna at the same time, to check for the appropiate reading of 35 in the patrol window screen and 45 mph on the target window screen. We then keep the unit on in moving mode and observe the patrol speed on the radar unit and compare it to the speed on the vehicles speedo, which is also certified via a dyno once per year. All these criteria must be met in order to use the vehicles radar for enforcement purposes.

That's what we do with the cars radar units. Since the trailer units are set for stationary radar only, they would only need to check them with tuning forks and the internal circuit/light test. How often they perform this on those units I do not know. I'd take a guess that it's done at least once per day, maybe less if it's just used as a warning device, like the one pic. above. They would have to test it at least twice per day if it was equipped with a camera and used as a tool to issue summons, in NJ anyway.

That's Doppler radar 101, class is dismissed :D

Scott W.

#14 ·
In my area, if you see one of those trailer radar setups, you can bet within a week the the REAL thing will be clocking you in that same area. It's kind of like a warning what's coming.

The county won't put those trailers too far out in the country areas.... the ******** use'em for target practice. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.