Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a zx12r... i have had 1000's so a 1200 wasnt going to be that bigg of a deal. Im 17 and love racing.
-pc3
-brocks sidewinder
-muzzy box
-10in over stock
Bike ran great. put 150 miles on it. guy said it was rebuild 8k ago. Intown showing out wanted to do a 2nd gear burnout rolling down the road..clutched it did it with throttle control being aware not to redline the bike. Then it started running rough and cutting out. Drove home.Pulled the start plugs figuring they might need some love. #1 plug had oil on it. figured this was cause be cause the bike tipped over because of some soft sand. #2-3 was running rich and #4 was rusty. #1 and 4 worried me a little.. cleaned the plugs up checked gap and corrected to .32 put in the plugs it fired up great and ran great until ab 3 miles down the road so i put some gas additive in it and drove it home. i figured my pc3 was causeing the bike to run rich and foul out the plugs so i was going to remap it. on the way home i was running about 80 85 and looked down to see a 8 foot of steam coming from my tail pipe i was 10 yds from the drive way so i pulled in and i could hear it knocking..( i know this knocking sound as i have messed with SBC for a number of years and worked on a few) The pistion was hitting the head witch i assume caused it to blow.
SO.....Heres what im thinking happed. i spun a bearing witch gave the piston enough clearence to hit the head. Now after all this being said i have a few questions---------

1. Im going to rebuild this motor. Never been inside a motorcycle motor but what the hell might as well give it a shot. i know everything thing has to be damn near perfect because unlike a SBC its not as forgiving.
2. what would you recommand doing sence i have to split the cases anyway. and small performance thing i could but ie cams rockers ect ect for it ive heard of big bore kits but i dont wanna go to a stroker.
3. ALL INPUT IS ACCEPTED PLEASEE... IM ALSO LOOKING FOR A MANUAL FOR THIS BIKE LIKE A SERVICE MANNUAL FOR PULLING THE MOTOR ANY TIPS. Im also looking for extra parts so if you have some laying around please pm me or message me here. cause i need somthing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
just search the forum or threads with REPAIR MANUAL and you will find a complete you can download. i just saw one link that warp12 had posted up. as for the digging into it good luck. kzscott and many others will give you great info. just look to any of the senior members. and also dave potters tuning guide. Welcome to the forum also

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@ kandy thanks i have been reading a lot of post from people and i will check that manual on the search thingie

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ kandy the website i thinkyour refering to is the910ths.com
but correct me if i am wrong

·
Registered
454 Posts
check out the thread about a repair manual just below this one and warp12 has the link up. but i think its 910s or 910th but pretty sure its 910s

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
pics of the plugs?
if a rebuild was done, and if the manual was followed and new rod bolts were used, it could be that the caps shifted a bit. this will cause the bearings to be pinched a little and eventually spin(no dowel pins in the rods). rods must be resized when new bolts are used. its pretty cheap.
take high res pictures as you pull it apart and we can help you

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How can I post pictures zxscott? The spark plug. On #1 has been smacked by the pistion could this still be a spun bearing

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.. Im not kinda leaning towards a busted piston. But heres my Next question... Theres a cam chain should i make anymarks on it so that when i pull the head everything will line up. i have the 3 bolts that are holding the motor on it was late last nigh so i didnt wanna attemp to finish pull it out when i was tired could cause me to mess up somthing lol.
The spark plug has a huge gouge in it from where the pistion hit it is this was the case would it be flat instea of a "V" <--- this is how the end of the plug look ill post pictures soon

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I think you should read the manual.

Thanx Dave.

I have. Have you? Does your manual Tell you why your motor is Knocking like a ape getting ass raped? cause my doesnt.. as to makeing marks on the cam chain and cam spockets i was moreless asking if it was nessary.

·
Registered
454 Posts
what Dave is telling you is about the section in the manual about the cam removal/installation. it will tell you how to mark or where the marks are in order to make sure you get it right.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:crazyloco:Ohh. :crackup: Sorry ab That well im ab to post some pics of the damage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i Founded it i have to go digg it up. I Am still needing someparts anyone have any.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts