Kawasaki World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 zx12r. I have been having some problems and was wondering if anyone can give me ANY advice. I rode my bike and then when i parked it, it would not start. The battery was dead. I took my battery out and charged it. At first my charger said that the battery would not hold a charge, but 15 minutes later, it switched over and starting taking charge. When it was complete i put it back in. I rode the bike for two days before the battery died again. So i bought a brand new battery and charged it and put it in. Two days later, it died again, but this time, it died well i was riding my bike. I was doing like 15 MPH and it died, and then wouldn't turn over. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what to check. or how to check it. Is there anything other then an alternator, that it could be? Or is it definitely the alternator? Is changing that out something i can do myself or must it be done professionally. I also read there was a recall on a piece of the alternator, could that be the problem? ANY HELP/ADVICE WANTED and much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Have you read the stickies at the top of this section? Your battery is not getting a charge but wheather it is the alternator or something is is what ou need to find out.
Could the plug from the Alt. have had a meltdown? I would check that first.
After that it is time for a shop manual and a multi meter.

Ground and positive cables clean? Check where the ground bolts to the frame or motor. Tightened down properly? Not much else I can think of right now.
Sorry I can't be of much more help since I suck at electrical poblems (which might be why I'm a machinist, ha!).

·
8,537 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts