Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick and tired of people driving like dipwads around me. I've decided I want to make the opposite of an unmarked police car. I want a highly marked civilian car. I obviously don't want to legally "impersonate an officer," but I'm sure I can buy a white Crown Victoria or something, and put a light bar on top, push bumpers, and lots of whip antennas. How far can a civilian go before he'll get heat from real cops. I'm not going to pull people over or offer assistance or anything. I just want people to crap their pants when they come roaring into my lane from the off-ramp! I've seen tons of "rolling roadblocks" when the cops cruise the freeways here in Phoenix, nobody will go blasting past them.

Please give me some feedback, this daydream is fun, but I"m sure it's got risks and problems or you'd see more people doing it.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
You can do everything but lettering and a lightbar. You will have to check your state MV laws for the lightbar, here in NJ a permit is required and only issued to volunteers, such as EMS and FD. There's no reason that you can't go for the "stealth but you know it's a cop look", with a white CV or Caprice, push bar and one or two antennas. If you really want it to look like a urban brawler, lose at least two of the hub caps, preferably one on each side, and make sure it has a smattering of dings and dents, especially on the hood and trunk area :wink: . If money were no object, buy a used cage and throw that in as well.

Personally, I'd avoid the police auctions. These vehicles are rode hard and put away wet 24/7. This could work to your advantage though, most of the cars that we don't re-issue to the detectives have traces of the lettering still on the body. Most also have tranny issues at the very least.

Try to get a Chevy with the LT1 engine, that was a screamer, as far as police vehicles go. Stay away from the Chevys with the lesser motor, easy to tell as it doesn't have a dual exhaust. Our last Chief bought 2 of these dogs and the power was similar to a Pinto wagon loaded with 4 kids and a leaking gas tank. He was an asshole, he also bought us a little Chevy front wheel drive, don't recall the model, but, after they added a cage only the midgets on the force could get behind the wheel :shock:

Scott W.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...yes, you definitely want a 95-96 9C1 Caprice w/the LT-1 engine...A BADASS COMBO...THE BEST THERE WAS!!!...a solid color slick top w/spot lights is just right...add a few attennas and a dent or two on the hood or trunk for effect...DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ILLUMINATE ANYONE WITH THE SPOTLIGHTS IF BOTH YOU AND THE OTHER CAR ARE MOVING...as a matter of fact, disconnect the wires if you're easily tempted...

...I have one of these for personal use...with...uh...a few go-fast/stop- quick/hug-road enhancements heh heh heh...it was featured in SUPERCHEVY magazine a few years back...I hardly drive it anymore cuz' I have a take-home black&white and I seem to be always working...driving my slick-top when I'm not working does have its pluses and minuses...

A couple of pluses: most motorists behave around you...wannabe racer geeks in riced-out Civis panic big time hee hee hee...

A couple of minuses: you're a marked man to cop-haters and you just might be faced with something you might not be prepared or equiped to deal with if you get goofy with your toy...people slow down too much when you're behind them, especially frustrating on a two-lane blacktop...

But no matter which car you get (Caprice, Crown Vic, Taurus, front-drive Impala yeeech!), if you yourself don't have 'the look' ie. stone-face, dark glasses, calm and confident demeanor, and 'the stare' down pat...other motorists will figure you out pronto and laugh their ass off as they zoom away from you, maybe flip you off...and other cops just know...do not attempt this at home...professional training and tenure on the streets are required Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
...good call on the B4C Camaro, especially the 96-02 models...however, visually they don't quite pull it off like the 9C1s and the PoliceInterceptor Vics...the only modern 4-dr sedan games in town are the 9C1's and the Vics...I wish Chrysler/Dodge would get in the mix with a rear-drive platform and Hemi package...I suspect there'll be another rear-drive platform with LS1 sometime in the near-distant future from GM, too...and Ford might as well plug in a 5.4 engine in the Vic, but hey, nobody in Detroit's asking me for my opinions....what can I say, I like my cars in full dose strength like my bikes...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Responses!

Hey, thanks a lot you guys!
I appreciate the thoughtful responses.
I already thought about NOT hooking up any lights or other stuff. I know I can't get a "real" light bar, but I wonder how close I can get without getting in trouble. I know for sure I can put up a luggage rack, and run some homemade contraption across it that happens to have plexiglass and maybe a siren horn in the middle.

I'm not at all trying to fool anybody, as far as "the stare" goes or anything. I just want the rude mo-fo's and wanna be racer geeks to panic, drive nice, and give me space until they figure out that it's no big deal. Yeah, I already thought about the inevitible vandalism that will occur in the mall parking lots or whatever. I like the idea of a road-warrior exterior, if that's the way it ends up. I'll keep the interior real nice.
If I don't go with a modern light bar, at least a bubble gum light up there will look imposing in people's rear view mirror.

This whole concept came from when my ex-wife actually had a Honda Elite 250 scooter with the perfect "cop" windshield. I drove it occationally, and with a black and white half helmet, it was hilarious to watch people sh*t themselves when I came up behind them. I didn't do it on purpose, but I'll never forget the lesson.
Thanks again, and keep the good ideas coming.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...just remember, in most if not all states... YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY RED OR BLUE LIGHTS OR RED OR BLUE PLEXIGLASS FACING FORWARD......white or amber is ok, sometimes green for private security units (and the greens can only be illuminated on private property)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Another thing just that makes the light bar not even necessary is a lot of the new cars have them inside the car not on th roof anymore at least here in S. CA.
Old models seem t still have them on the roof though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Phoenix, AZ

ARS code 28-904 deals with lighting codes. You cannot have any light "capable" of emitting Red or Blue to the front of vehicle. This means on or off, if it is capable, it is not legal. Scottsdale PD is very hard on light code violations. FYI, I have been in a fully marked full sized Bronco with lightbar and been passed by morons not paying attention. It is amazing how little people are paying attention here on the highway. Another FYI, if you buy some special light (neon or LED ) and the package says "Off Road Use Only" on it, I would have to say I doubt it is legal. Got to love those Neon license plate frames and w/s washer lights on the hood. They do make great PC though. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm, good food for thought.

Crazi, It's great to hear from someone here in Arizona! I thought about the "capability" of the light bar. For that very reason, if I do make or buy a lightbar, I'm going to completely remove the lights and wiring. Same with the spotlight, if I mount one. Worm mentioned that you can't even have red or blue plexiglass on the front of the light bar. Hmmm, I don't know. If there are NO lights inside, is it a light bar? Mine's going to be a tool box, it just happens to be the same size and shape as a light bar. Completely empty except for road flares, aspirin, and change for a pay phone.

I'm bummed that people go blasting right by a fully marked Blazer! My whole premise was that people would at least pay attention to the cars right around them, give or take a lane or two.

As bike riders, I guess we are used to looking down the road about a mile, and constantly watching other (idiot) drivers. Hard to switch mentality back to an oblivious cage driver. Thank God.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You don't need to go all foolish and buy a bunch of junk. Cheesiness will just make people really mad or laugh. Forget the lightbar... and any other simulated lights. The more plain you get the more realistic it is.

I am not a cop but DO drive a cop-car clone. A 98 Crown Vic (ex-cop car from an auction) It is white, no door trim, no hubcaps and a cell phone antenna. Other cops have no clue, they give that "wave" as the come towards me. As they pass I am sure they realize their mistake.

Good points: Most people get out of your way. You rarely get cut-off. You get let out in traffic (no one wants the cop behind them).

Bad points: People stare at you waaay to much. Angry glares. Sudden slowing and other stupidity because people panic.

Fun things to do: Watch people weave all over the road when they struggle to put the seatbelt on while braking from 140 to 100. Flying up behind people hogging the left lane and watch them pull right real quick!
Speeding seems to be less of an issue. I rarely get parking tickets either.

Good luck... but don't be an ass with it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...hey green12rpilot...wanna race my 96' 130,000 mile 9C1-LT1???? ...at a top-secret squirrel "closed course", of course....Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
COP CAR CLONE

I agree with the "Plain Brown Wrapper " look. Although here in Az it would have to be a "Plain White Wrapper ". The main thing that would give it away here is the lack of a "G" as the first digit in your license plate number ie: G-1234. Of course they will not see that until they have passed you. I have to agree with the parking ticket thing as well. My personal vehicle is a 96 Bronco all white with spotlight and antennas for my radios. I have never had a parking ticket or worry about being towed. I do not abuse it either. I also have Red and Blue lights in my Bronco (authorized) and I still would not go fly by DPS to test the no ticket theory. True, you can have a lot of fun with a lookalike, just do not abuse it. Also, if you are not one of those "Punk Kid Stunt Riders" and you want to hook up for some local riding, email me at "[email protected]". No, I can not flash a badge to get us out of a 150mph speeding ticket. Ride safe. FYI: Even a "no light" light bar will likely get you pulled over and hasseled. It would stand up to PC since when they checked your plate it would come back as a POV ( personal operators vehicle) and not a city, state, or county car. I have to carry an "authorization letter" in my Bronco for the lights and equipment it has in it.
Steve

·
Registered
179 Posts
...in California, we just have "No record on file" or "Confdential" with a coresponding agency...we have lots of regualr plates on plain vehicles of any kind with "No record on file", but most of us in the know are aware or know what to look for to know that its a cop car or a cop's POV...and sorry, I will not divulge that info...which brings up another point...you just never know who you might be road raging with, so its best for everyone to be cool, yes?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Believe it or not I was the victim of an off-duty cops road rage.

I was on one of my vans coming home from a job when I got jammed up behind a vehicle hogging the left lane. Doing 80k in a 110k zone. Flashed my lights, honked my horn... this asshole would not yield right. So.. I passed him on the right... Illegal? Sorta. So is hogging the left lane. Big signs say "Keep right except to pass". As I passed him, the jack-off thought he would scare me by faking a swerve into my lane. Since I was in a cube van I wasnt exactly intimidated by a honda civic. I flipped him the bird on the way by and thought that was the end of it.

As I reach the city I see this creep keeping pace with me. I stayed on my route and this guy continued to follow me. I was getting ready to call him in to the cops when I came upon a roadblock... no shit. 2 cars and another one coming up on the rear. I pull over and they are getting ready to give me all kinds of nasty grief. Fortunatly, 3 of my employees were just behind me in another van. Coming back from the same job. Up until now , they thought they were gonna have to thump this guy. Once they told their story I walked away with a grudging apology. If it wasnt for them... I would have gotten a crap-load of tickets because of this jackass.

In my experience so far... the new breed of young cop seems to be full of power tripping assholes. You should have seen this guy. In street clothes he was a disgrace to the force unless he was supposed to be undercover as a drug dealer. Which he wasnt.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Worm~hole. I would love to give you a go. I have a few tricks lurking under my hood and in my trunk. :) I think we are a little far away from each other.

My little 4.6 is now turning out about 280 ponies plus a 100 shot in the trunk. Changed the rear end gearing and ripped out the stupid traction control junk. A sleeper to the max. You would never know it to look at it or listen to it. Well maybe if you knew what to listen for.

I just added the NOS a week ago. In the spring I will drag it down to the strip for a few good laughs. Nothing better than seeing a big-assed car screaming down the strip trailed by some ricer junk!

·
Registered
179 Posts
hee hee hee...I have the LT-1 and twin 10lb blue bottles in the trunk...100hp shot, too...3.73 gears...full borla headers&exhaust...hypertech program......K&N FIPK...H&R springs...Tokico HPs...Hellwig bars...Hotchkis upper&lower trailing arms...MSD Digital-6-Plus...powerstop gas slotted discs...the only things that make it less than a sleeper are the 17x9.5 ROH (looks like wider Impala wheels), 285/40 BFG KDWs, and how it sits a bit lower...I'd like to get 17x10 steel wheels with the bolt-on center caps to complete the 'sleeper' look...scare a few Mustangs (not the real badass ones of course :))...even with 140, 000 miles on the clock!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hell... I got 177k on the clock now and its still turnin and burnin like it was new. We have a few bad-ass cars around here but most will just put their tail between their legs. Sounds like a great setup there.

I used to have a van that was a wicked sleeper. Its was running about 385 horse with no funny gas. Looked plain but nice plain on the outside and had just about every convience know to man inside.

·
Registered
179 Posts
...yup...'plain' is defintely the way to go...lotta fun, too!...like how 69' COPO Camaro is 'plain'....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts