Kawasaki World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have downloaded a windows media player A real player and I still can't play avi and mov files.... I want to find (heres the tricky part) a no cost player that will play all.... I have downloaded a movie or two and had no codec or wrong codec or some crap..... What to hell is codec.... Help please.... Thanxxxx Guys.......

G

·
0 Posts

What version is the Windows Media Player that you downloaded? Can you tell? Sounds like you have an older "media player", trying to play a file encoded with a newer version of "encoder". Either that or it's a "Divx" format. (format= encoding)

Codec is = Coder/Decoder. ie. "To encode or decode a raw digital video file (read: very huge file) into a smaller compressed file."

I'm not completely sure where to get anything free like that unless you get the Microsoft Windows Media Player from their website. They have a version 8.1 encoder too. (that you would use to compress a file from a camcorder or such)

Divx is also an EXCELLENT encoder, but I'm not sure that it will play a '.avi' file made with a different encoder.

You could always search for it on the Net and download it just to see. The last version I saw was 4.x something.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was 7.1 windows media player... I also downloaded a version of real player... I just want something thats going to be consistant or faily... Thanxxx Any more if would be appreciated...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Divix movies, which are actuall MPEG 4, end with .avi and Media Player does not support them. You have to download the Divix Codecs in order to do so. If you do a quick search on google, you will find a number of sites that have the install file.

.mov files are quicktime movies. You have to go to www.quicktime.com and download thier player in order to view those files.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanxxxx KZ now we are getting somewhere....

How do I find the exact codecs and how do I install them and where..... This is what I am looking for I am sure...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I Can Play .AVI file extensions on My Windows Media Player

Hey Rich,
I can play .AVI movies on my Windows Media Player. I have Version 8.0 with all the updates available. I would suggest going to the Windows Update site and downloading the newest version or Windows Media Player or try this first. What application or program do you have that plays .AVI file extensions??? Go to My Computer -Control Panel then double click on the Folder Options icon. Click on the File Types tab and scroll down until you see AVI. It will show you what you're using to play those file extensions. If you download the new Windows Media Player it will ask you if you want it to be the default player for that type of file extension before you complete the set up process.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not have a folders option icon in control panel.... I am on an old computer....

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Try This

Ok I was afraid of that. Try this out Rich. Open up any folder and on the menu bar which is at the top of the screen you should see an option that says "Tools". Click on that and scroll down to Folder Options.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't have a folder option there either I have internet options... LOL I appreciate the help most definitly.... But I have to bolt for about an hour... I'll be on later and check for more pointers... Thank you....

·
Registered
327 Posts
To get the divX codecs, download the software from http://www.divx.com/divx/. Don't bother with the expensive one. Get the free one without ads. If you need the more advanced one later, you can download it when necessary.

If you still can't play the .avi files after putting that software in, it means that the files aren't divX but Video for Windows files. That means you will have to go to Microsoft's website and update through them.

The .mov files have to be played through quicktime http://www.apple.com/quicktime/. Download their player and you will be all set for .mov files.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I open the divx download does it go where it needs to automatically or do I need to do something incredible??? Thanxxxx Guys...

·
Registered
327 Posts
zx12richard said:
When I open the divx download does it go where it needs to automatically or do I need to do something incredible??? Thanxxxx Guys...
It should take care of everything for you with this new version. In the older versions, it would put a program in your Start menu called "Run Me First". All you had to do was run it first and everything worked after that. Just check out any of the readme files that came with it. I can't say for sure since I haven't put the new version on my computer yet.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanxxx Hope this works.... :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts