Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are been a few questions popping up about this and I know easy is looking for the old thread, but in the mean time figured I would start another one and see who has questions etc...

What is it? --- Gear indicator that works on either the Gas Gauge (left - Right, 1 gear per block) or the Temp Guage (down - up, 1 gear per sweep step)

Is it hard to hook up? --- Nope.. pretty easy... tap 7 wires... 1 up front to the display and 6 by the ecu for gears.

Can I do this myself? --- Of course... or what fun would it be... :) I will do a HOW TO in the near future for people who want to do this themselves and will offer a prebuilt unit for minimal cost. Pick your poision.

Will add more Q/A later... :)

Here are some pics of the unit and the unit in action. I use the Temp Guage myself and I simply toggle between Temp/Gear Indicator when ever I see fit.

Usually.. Temp when im riding hard and GI when im cruising.

Now for some pics..

FIRST GEAR

SECOND GEAR

THIRD GEAR-- You get the idea

TEST UNIT

More pics can be found here...

http://www.pptracing.com/~boostable/indicator/

More to come soon.... so ask some questions here if you have them..

Boostable

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Cost Boost???? I have been thinking on this one..... Any info appreciated....

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Got a demo model for half price??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Really how much it set me back and how long to hook up??? Also does the temp guage still work??? Toggle between shifter and temp????

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Boost's bike in this pic reminds me of the 'Terminator' without his 'skin'! :shock:

·
Registered
468 Posts
out of interest, how do you switched between the gear and temp indicators? do you have a switch or something?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep... I have a bar mount toggle switch...

Can reach it with my left hand no problem...

Boostable

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey... that wasn't a motorcycle that day....

It was a test bed.... :)

Boostable

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
:?: hay guys, if you are going to go thru the labor process don`t you think you should be able to see what gear your in without crashing. i built ridgeracers design gear indicator for thirdy bucks. all radio shack parts. i`ll try to get a digi cam to post a pic. it is awsum. fun winter project.....killer

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got a seperate digital gear indicator already but this is frigin cool anyway..

in some ways cooler..

And...

what sort of retard needs to look at gear postion during any sort of intense riding..

it's just a reminder type of thing.. and therefore is just as safe in built in display.

SAYS ME

·
Registered
468 Posts
i'd love to know how to make one that's an addition to the gauges already there - what i mean is one i can make from parts and just attach to the side of the display cluster...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Boost, looking forward to your how to build yourself post!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hey Boost,

I plan on heading down to Tampa in a few weeks and gonna catch another Sunday ride with Bogus Dave. Meet up with us if you can, I'll let you know a week or two before I'm heading down. It would be fun if we could get several ZX12s together for a ride.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Parts List...

Ok.. Lets start with a parts list... and I will work on the how to tomorrow..

Do it yourself kit..

3 - 1K W 0.75W 15-Turn PC-Mount Trimmer $2.49 Each, RadioShack
Cat.#: 271-342 Model: 271-342

3 - 10KW 0.75W 15-Turn PC-Mount Trimmer $2.49 Each, RadioShack Cat.#: 271-343 Model: 271-343

6 - 1N4733A 1W Zener Diode $0.99 (2 pack) RadioShack Cat.#: 276-565

1 - (EXAMPLE) Automotive Rocker Switch $2.99 RadioShack Cat.#: 275-730 Model: 275-730

1 - (EXAMPLE) Ultracompact Enclosure $1.99 RadioShack Cat.#: 270-288 Model: 27-288

1 - (EXAMPLE) Grid-Style PC Board-750 Holes $2.69 Cat.#: 276-158

15 - (EXAMPLE) Quick Disconnects (5 Pack) $1.69 Cat.#: 64-3131

1 - Cable/Wire -- Your choice here.. I use 22/24 AWG "STRANDED" wire..

I say EXAMPLE, because it is just that... You can substatute to your likeing.. Just make sure you use STRANDED and not SOLID wire for your connection..

BTW.. I just used RS as a refrence, you can buy these parts anywhere...

How To to come....

Boostable

·
Registered
294 Posts
Boost, do you mind putting your parts list and the "how to" as a new thread. I see it being a good archive thread. Just a thought that it might be better to have both as the first and second post on the thread....thanks
8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as visability, I would say this is as good as any out there...

If your anything like me your constantly watching your guages anyway and I can quickly tell the location (or gear) with a quick glimpse... 1st, 3rd and 6th used as refrence points..

I don't really care to have anything hanging off my display, hence the reason I wanted integrated.

Its lite, it matches and its integrated....

Boostable

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nebraska,

Thats a good idea, I will do that when I get it all together..

Boostable..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts