Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new here, i have a old zx-750L 1995 for 2 years now.
Run fine until a couple of months.
The idle speed when the engine is warm is at about 500 rpm, almost stall
When i have the choke on until it is warm the idle is moving up and down every seconds for about 300 rpm (1000 -1300). this behavior was not there 3 months ago.

Yesterday i was at cruise speed (60 Mph around 5000 rpm) and suddenly i loose power on and off. I was on the highway when i turn to my exit and had to slow down, the engine stop. Pull over check if i have gas in my thank (ok on this). Try to restart the engine and it is starting normaly. I was able to get at home. Weird thing when i arrive at home i let the bike run at idle speed and the idle speed was back to normal around 1000 rpm.

Today try the bike again, start normaly, idle speed ok (1000 rpm)
Go for a ride a have again the loose of power at cruise speed and when a increase the throttle, i feel the hesitation of the bike.

Do you have an idea what the problem can be ?

Thanks in advance for your support

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Could be crap floating in your float bowls clogging jets, and when it stalls, it falls out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks my12r
but i have 4 carbs, if one has the problem, i do not think the engine will stop when i decelarate, the 3 other carbs will kep the engine running. Naturally the idle or low speed will not be smooth. but no stall as soon as i throtle down. My opinion maybe i am wrong

I suppose i am really in bad luck if more than one carb has the same crap floating in it.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Problem is...the "filter" they use in tank can crack with age, and when fuel is delivered to the carbs, it's to a rail, so, you could have stuff built up oved time. You are right, one carb most likely won't kill the bike, but over time, silt builds up in the bottoms of carb float bowls. Eventually this can be issue is you have no inline filter between the tank and carb bank.

Another issue could be intermittant ignition failure, but what you describe fits better with fuel starvation...

You could also check the pump diaphram in the petcock if eqippped...they do rot and crack with age.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks My12R

Me too i think it is a fuel starvation.
yea maybe crap stuff build over time in the rail.
it is a old 1995 and i do not think this has been check before.

I check the resistance of the fuel pump relay according to manual shop
and seems to be ok.
Put a 12 volt dc direct to the pump and hear it running.
But i do not remove it to mesure the pressure but according to the previous owner the pump as less than 15 000 Km. Should be ok.

The weird thing with this issue (after the big loose of power).
My idle speed is now a good 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Problem solve.

Remove the fuel tank and found an unplug hose coming from the air filter housing and going to the canister valve (unplug at the canister valve)

Run fine now !!

Thanks to all who reply

1 - 7 of 7 Posts